Sinking current - How to pull down a point to zero using Arduino pins

@DrAzzy

Thanks DrAzzy for trying to explain the flaw in using voltage divider as a solution here.

ma

Paulcet:
That's it. You are missing some obvious principles of electronics. Not that I am putting you down. Asking questions is a good thing, but we don't have time to teach you electronics 101. Many of the people helping here have studied/practiced electronics for years and the reasons not to use a voltage divider in this application are obvious to us.

@Paulcet
I think you do not know how to explain what "obvious principles" I am missing here :slight_smile: .

@raschemmel

Appreciate your time and thanks for posting replies , especially the suggestion on using relay switches instead of transistors.

In your replies you are suspicious on if I understood the "open collector " solution. I do not want to quote from my original post again to prove that. The question on Voltage divider was there not because , I did not know ( or I did know) transistor wiring , but I was not sure why voltage divider should not work.

@raschemmel
I do not know what signals are there from those control points. I just measured voltage between the point and the ground. Also measured the current when directly sinking to the ground. (When directly sinking one point to the ground I got one side motors working.) I do not have a scope to check the signals.
By "academic" , I do not have a real project in hand ? No.. I have some thing solid before me.
Or did you mean .. that discussion is going too theoretical ? .. sorry I cant help :wink: asking questions.

@dwightthinker
I am yet to digest your answer.

This is my first post. I posted this yesterday. I did not get time to "do" things today. Thanks for the overwhelming support and information. Will keep you posted.
By the way I am posting the diagram to clarify the voltage divider I was "thinking" about. ( Those who have clarified undoubtedly that VD is not the solution , please excuse me).