Questions receiving Oregon v1 data

Those other projects featuring the Tiny are very interesting, however they do point to one thing, in my mind at least, is that is best to have a dedicated Arduino style CPU doing the receiving of the 433MHz. I have yet to see a good, simple project that clearly shows how to directly intercept 433MHz with a RPi.

Hence I think using a Tiny as a pre-processor so to speak is probably a good idea. I have found problems with signal strength as well. Most times though, the "Bad reception" has been because of flaky code, rather than RF problems. However to allay my suspicions I have experimented with what would be the "best" antenna and found this solution to be particularly effective. This is a photo of the setup before I went the next step. I have added to it graphically to explain the setup.

The first experiment was to have a length of TV coaxial cable with the shield stripped back for 17cm at the other end from the Tx or Rx (Yellow line). This was fairly good, but I found when I added a matching length of hookup wire to (where I had stripped off the shielding) the shielding, (Green) the performance really moved up a notch or two. The extra RF in/out helped me debug a few difficult problems as I the program was working OK with a strong signal, and it least gave me a lead where to correct the program.

The core of the coax (Yellow) and the balanced other half of it (Green) makes a simple dipole and connecting it to the earth (the one alongside the signal) and signal on the board made a really huge difference. The Arduino that I use 24/7 to gather the weather data off the Oregon Sci sensors is fairly well central to all three. However my development computer is tucked away in a small room with no windows and brick on two sides. Using this antenna was really helpful.

Cheers, Rob