Help needed to select correct Arduino products for project.

I am building a project to monitor and log the state of 8 digital inputs when an interrupt changes state. I would like to time stamp and log the inputs on interrupt and remotely access these via network. What are my best choices of Arduino products such as UNO, MEGA, Ethernet Shield or other?

Jim

Based on the rather vague requirements, I would use an ESP8266 WIFI module with a MCP23008 I2C expander. Program the ESP with the Arduino IDE and the ESP8266 Arduino core. See this beginners guide to the ESP.
Arduino-ESP core.

I would personally use an Arduino Mega. I like the Mega because you can expand on your projects greatly, with plenty of pins to do so.

Get a Micro SD Card reader, and a RTC (Real Time Clock) module. Connect your interrupt system to the IO pins of the Mega.

When the thingie is triggered, get the time from the RTC, and open/create a file on the SD Card. Write the time into the text file, followed by whatever else you want to say. Some pseudo code:

loop { 

if (Device is triggered) {
Get RTC time 
Open/Create new text file on the microSD card 
Write the time Write an additional messsage such as "Device Triggered" 
Close the SD card file 
} 

}

When you remove the SD card and plug it into your computer, the file will show the following output:

[Date&Time]Device Triggered

Hope that gives you some idea.
SQ