Zif socket on PCB?

I have an idea of a gadget that would be useful to me and maybe a dozen other peoples here:
A PCB for bootloading/programming ATMEGA328 chips. I want to put a zif socket on it but I don't know if that is a good idea. I have a zif socket and the pins are flat and wide and they rock a bit when you lock/unlock the socket. I don't know if a socket like this can be soldered to a pcb. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Here is the part I'm using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28Pin-300mil-DIP-ZIF-Socket-x-5pcs-/260453101202?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3ca436ee92

Sure a ZIF socket can go onto a PCB, I use these: ATmegaXX8 target boards

Here's mine all decked out as an Arduino clone:

Looks very good! Thanks. I'll get one too.

Necessity is the mother on invention: Here is how I adapted a ZIP to a small basic PCB and rubber banded to the USBtiny programmer. Works great.

Lefty

What was the PCB?
I also just realized I could use a couple rows of female headers to prop up the socket so it may be soldered on an RBBB.

What was the PCB?

I don't really remember, something I found on the web cheap, came as a kit with the 3 terminal 16mhz resonator, ICSP 6 pin male header, reset switch with pull-up and Vcc bypass cap. I used male SIP pin strips soldered to the PCB and 'tacked' soldered the ZIP socket pins to the male pins. Like I said, necessity is the mother of invention, and it worked out well.

Lefty

I have an idea of a gadget that would be useful to me and maybe a dozen other peoples here: A PCB for bootloading/programming ATMEGA328 chips.

Like this one?

Really nice gadget! I'll have to wait until they file out the UNO rough edges. Since I successfully bootloaded my first Duemilanove to UNO, I'm not going back. It's like 1.5K free FLASH and much faster startup and upload time. I might have to invest on an avr isp. Like the avr dragon?! I really like its box art :wink: What that Nick Gammon or someone else that showed the box on latest purchase thread?

I know I'm a little late, but I think this is what you need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/172126302586?

It is very affordable, compact, and fits right on your device, whatever that may be.