Arduino 1.0 Soon - What do you want to see?

retrolefty:
I still wish at least the compiled .hex file was saved into the sketch's application folder rather then having to search for it in the temp directories.

Lefty

This would be handy. Very handy.

This entire temp folder thing is a PITA. If you have a project you want all the relevant files in a known work folder IMO.

Rob

I keep seeing Line Numbers come up - don't folks realize that they show up already?
I have used that to help in my debugging when the error messages indicate an error in a line

Yes but that's still not as good as having a number on every line. I find say I get an error on line 2396, now I have to scan down the page clicking in a dozen places until I land on the right line. Much easier to just look at the left column.

Rob

But doesn't the compiler usually highlight the line the error was on? That has seemed pretty straightforward to me.

The tricky part I have found was figuring where an earlier missing { ( ; / type character was that caused a later line to fail.

CrossRoads:
But doesn't the compiler usually highlight the line the error was on?

The compiler doesn't, Arduino IDE does, and it only highlights the first error. Other IDEs will let you double click on an error to goto that line but Arduino cannot do this.

Alright, my installation is hosed - can't even start the compiler, can't find "avr-gcc".
Need to get my taxes done than go clean up my files. Think I hosed things getting the sanguino files put in the right place and discovered -0021 wasn't sitting where I thought it was, but in some virtual c:/program files instead.
One more thing to add to the to-do list ....

You're probably right about the highlighting, it's been so long since I've had an error I can't remember XD

Rob

retrolefty:
I still wish at least the compiled .hex file was saved into the sketch's application folder rather then having to search for it in the temp directories.

Lefty

+1 to this

retrolefty:

Lefty

Hear Hear

More than just the .hex file, the .elf file would be useful too. For example, with AVR-Project-IDE, there's a dedicated window that will let you disassemble a compiled .elf file to see the corresponding assembly code for your C code.

retrolefty:

Lefty

+1000 to this. Big time. The fact I have to go hunt down the hex file every time I want to compile and flash is causing me huge headaches and wastes of time.

Why was this changed in the first place? Can we have the option to re-enable it PLEASE!!!

The fact I have to go hunt down the hex file every time I want to compile and flash

Would you like help getting the upload to work from the IDE?

What if I wanted the .elf file to make a .lst file or .map file? or to run avr-size on it to know how much static RAM is used? What if I needed the .eep file to load into pre-initialize EEPROM?

I am aware of the benefits of placing target files in a known / fixed location and I am strongly in favour of restoring that functionality.

@madsci1016 appears to be having problems with just uploading; something that the IDE is capable of doing. I am offering assistance in the form of goading an answer to a question. I will reword my previous post in the hopes of making my intention more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

frank26080115:
What if I wanted the .elf file to make a .lst file or .map file? or to run avr-size on it to know how much static RAM is used? What if I needed the .eep file to load into pre-initialize EEPROM?

I say, if you even KNOW what the .lst .map and .eep files are, chances are good you're not the target user for the Arduino IDE. I hope the development team keeps a clear focus on the beginning user. Perhaps one nice thing would be to provide a nice "graduation path" for people to gracefully move on once they're advanced users.

DCContrarian:
Everything that Turbo C had in 1990.

Borland's Turbo IDE was the best I've ever used (though I did pascal rather than c).

Bah. It didn't have "code completion". The NuSphere PHP IDE is the best I've ever used. That thing is able to read my mind!

take a look at the modern editors such as visual studio, eclipse, netbeans etc and implement the successful features from each.

I am deploying updates to remote Arduinos connected to hosts across a network. I'm not having issues with my local machine and it's ability to upload locally. I just want access to the compiled hex file so I can push it across the network.