Windows Update Oct 3 2018, unable to upload sketches to Nanos via Arduino IDE

Windows installed a large update today Oct 3 2018 and when I restarted the computer I can no longer upload any sketches to any of my Arduino Nano boards. I have been using the same laptop to program the same Nanos boards for 3 years.

Here is the upload error I get:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D Uflash:w:C:\Users\charlesjevans\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_576894/sketch_oct03a.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Windows 8 - 10 can have USB 3.0 issues.
Preferable to use USB 2.0 ports for Arduino's

Karma for the step through for others.

OK. I have been using the same laptop to program the same Arduino Nano boards for 3 years. Clearly something changed because I was using the Arduino IDE just 20 min before it stopped working. My other boards, like the ESP32 work fine, I checked. It's specifically the Nano.

Not all USB 3.0 chipsets are the same and some DO have issues.
A USB 2.0 hub is the most common fix for USB 3.0 problems.
Microsoft has had issues in the past with its OWN version of drivers (WHQ) so it is always preferable to use the manufactures own drivers over those.

But now we know you have a NANO you might want to try selecting the OLD BOOTLOADER option under the board FLAVOUR to see if that was your issue.

Selecting the ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) results in: Error compiling for board Arduino Nano

Please clarify what you mean by "manufacturer's drivers." Do you mean the laptop manufacturer? Thx.

Yes the OEM supplier and not MS.
Some people have reported a roll back of the MS drivers often restored USB and other functions.

Also post the sketch itself JIC it is meant for a different board but please use CODE TAGS ( </> )

Is it a clone NANO or the real thing ?

charlesjevans:
Selecting the ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) results in: Error compiling for board Arduino Nano

The selection of the old boot loader should not result in a compile error; to my knowledge that only affects the upload process.

Thanks for all your thoughts and theories. Out of frustration I tried selecting different boards from the Arduino IDE and found that selecting the Arduino Pro Mini board allowed me to connect to the Nano and upload sketches OK. I don't know how you explain this as a USB problem when I have been using the same Nanos on the same computer for several years without any problem using the Nano selected as the board in the IDE. At this point it appears the IDE board definition for the Nano is the problem. Fussing around with USB drivers, Bootloaders, and USB 2.0 hubs had no effect. Thx.