Would this power supply run 2 nema 17 motor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC110-240V-50-60Hz-Protections-Overload-120W-Switching-Power-Supply-Silver-/360801358443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54016fd26b

Features:
1.Universal AC input / full range
2.Full load burn-in test
3.Cooling by free air convection
4.It's good quality and high performance
5.Great switching power supply for home appliances

Specifications:

1. Input: AC110-240V 50/60Hz
  2. Output: DC 24V 5A
  3. Power: 120W
  4. Protections: Overload / Over Voltage / Short Circuit
  5. Material: Metal
  6. Weight: 19.15oz / 543g
  7. Color: Silver
  8. Dimensions: (198 x 98 x 42)mm / (7.79 x 3.85 x 1.65)inch???L x W x H???

Package Includes:
1 x 24V DC 5A Switching Power Supply

Depends on the motor. NEMA17 seems to describe the physical interface size if you will vs the specs of a motor:

Basically no.
If the motor you had was:-

Then that takes 1.7A per phase. Each motor has 2 phases therefore the total current needed to run this motor at full power would be 1.7 * 4 = 6.8A
That power supply only gives you 5A.

However you could run the motors at 1.25A per winding not quite full power but close.

1 Like

Ignore the above post. It is wrong.

Yes, 5A at 24V is plenty to run any pair of Nema 17s.

pravda:
Ignore the above post. It is wrong.

Yes, 5A at 24V is plenty to run any pair of Nema 17s.

Can you say why you think it is wrong. It is hard to counter a blanket assertion like that especially when it is rubbish.

1 Like

Maybe there is a chopper driver for the motor, then 24V supply makes sense?

The point here is surely, as CR points out, that the electrical characteristics of the OP's motors are not known to us.

The NEMA specs merely give the physical size of the unit and specify mounting hole details; they are silent on the electrical aspects. That's pretty clear from CR's link, where a vendor shows various NEMA17s of different torque and therefore presumably of differing voltage and current.

Can you say why you think it is wrong. It is hard to counter a blanket assertion like that especially when it is rubbish.

I hope this doesn't make you (more?) grumpy, but I assure you, your assertion is rubbish.

I am sure you can figure out that you are wrong. With a little thought, you can probably figure out why,

Think about the size of a Nema 17 stepper. It will fit in your palm. Now think about 60W of power, like a 60W lightbulb. You think you can shove 60W of power into a Nema 17-sized object?

You don't think that, so you know you made a mistake somewhere.

I am sure you can figure out that you are wrong. With a little thought, you can probably figure out why

Can you point out where I am wrong with my calculations. That product I linked to said it had a Rated Current: 1.7A/Phase. Are you disputing that?
That is 1.7 + 1.7 = 3.4A per motor. Two motors bring that up to 6.8A.
Now he said that his power supply was capable of providing 5A. So how can you get 6.8A out of a 5A supply?

Now think about 60W of power, like a 60W lightbulb. You think you can shove 60W of power into a Nema 17-sized object?

Why do you think each motor will consume 60W? Each motor has a rated voltage of 3V thus it consumes 10.2W per motor.
Yes if you connect a 3V motor to 25V then it will glow but no one is talking about that. While the OP's power supply has enough power it does not have enough current. Therefore he can not use the power supply to fully drive the motor. I said:-

you could run the motors at 1.25A per winding not quite full power but close.

You could use a switching regulator to give more current at the expense of less voltage but that is using something else as well as his power supply.
In order to use this power supply with this motor he is going to need a chopping regulator to limit the current anyway.

So if you have any real technical arguments with what I said I would be happy to discuss that with you, but vague half thought out hand waving arguments do not cut it in electronics.

but I assure you, your assertion is rubbish.

And I can assure you that you do not know what you are talking about.

1 Like

+1 to @Grumpy_Mike.

Watts without sufficient amps is like wealth without cash,

...R

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm in an almost identical situation and some people here seemed to know what they were talking about.

I'm wanting to power 2 cheapo Nema 17 steppers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322164018908

Controlling (hopefully) with a A3967 EasyDriver Stepper Shield
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172312155458

Powering with a DC 24V 10A 240W Regulated Switching PSU:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191827226504

Any idea if this power supply is going to cut the mustard? Or overkill / underkill? It looks a bit big and terrifying for a couple of small motors.

Learning from the previous messages, I've done my calculations:

Each stepper:
1.33A per coil
2.66A total per stepper
2.8V Rated voltage (not certain)
Therefore :
7.448W

So in total, for two steppers, the PSU needs:
12-24V
15W
5.32A

Any help would be invaluable :slight_smile:

The A3967 can provide a max of 0.75 amps and your motor requires 1.33 amps. You need an A4988 or DRV8825 stepper driver for that motor.

You wattage calculation for the motor is correct. But something has gone wrong with your power supply calculations. 15W at 24 volts only requires 0.625 amps.

In practice I would probably choose a power supply that could provide about 5 amps just to have a nice surplus. Of course a 10 amp power supply would also be perfectly OK.

Make sure you adjust the stepper driver to limit the motor current to 1.33 amps or the smoke will escape from the motor. And note that most motor and driver specs refer to the current per-coil.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Brilliant! thanks for that great reply, Robin2.

I'll order a couple of those A4988 and current limit them to 1.33A.

That and a 24V 5A (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311645065124) power supply should do the trick then!

Then it's just plug and play (and figuring out how to use the controller, but seems straightforward - just sending pulses to move step by step)

Thanks again.
PS: Well done writing those posts you linked, very handy info