IDE 1.6.4 is now available for download

Hi everyone

We've just released IDE 1.6.4, with the usual load of fixes, support for the new Arduino Gemma, and the possibility to specify additional URLs to the Boards Manager, so that it can list even non official Arduino Boards, making it easier to install, for example, ESP8266 support.

A list of available urls is here, but you should ask your manufacturer to provide instructions.

In the meanwhile, Library Managers has reached 190 libraries listed.

The complete list of changes is available here.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Federico

IDE 1.6.4 will require the same shell script mod as the previous IDE versions if you are running Ubuntu 15.04.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=318520.0

Is anyone else running into this on a Mac?

I've already made sure that "Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere" is selected in my security settings. This doesn't fix the issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

MacBook Pro running OSX 10.10.4

Looks like this was a permissions issue - I was able to fix it by running

$ sudo chown root:admin Arduino.app/

Hello,

I am having a problem running the IDE on my Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop. I installed IDE 1.6.4 and when I launch the IDE the splash screen shows up, and at the bottom the following messages are displayed in order;

Loading configurations...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Starting...

Then the splash screen goes away and the IDE never comes up. There are no error messages associated with this problem and I even tried the previous version of the IDE with the same results. I tried running the IDE in Windows 7 compatibility mode and the result was the same.

Edit: Ok, I found another thread for the 1.6.3 IDE and it said to remove the arduino I5 folder from the user/appdat/roaming directory. When I do that and the IDE does load. But when I try loading a sketch, there are errors and the sketch/example options in the file pull down go away. When I close the IDE and try to re-open, I'm back to the original issue.

Edit2: Ok, I narrowed the problem down to a bad folder in my sketch folder. Once I eliminated the offending folder all works fine now. Sorry about troubling you with this issue.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Brassfly, your issue is very interesting: what was the offending folder? why was it offending? bad chars in the name? strange contents?

Do you still have a copy of it that we can use to analyse the problem?

This is my first time trying to download Arduino software. No matter what browser and settings i use it continues to say that I cannot connect to the server. Has anyone else had this issue? Im hoping its actually temp issue on server end. Ive been trying on Mac, I'll switch to Windows and try that, but...

RedPaw: you mean you can not download the IDE from here http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software ?

Federico Fissore: Yes! The IDE from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software.
I tried it on Windows and got same thing. very odd
Sorry, No idea what Yun even is.

Brassfly:
Hello,

I am having a problem running the IDE on my Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop. I installed IDE 1.6.4 and when I launch the IDE the splash screen shows up, and at the bottom the following messages are displayed in order;

Loading configurations...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Starting...

Then the splash screen goes away and the IDE never comes up. There are no error messages associated with this problem and I even tried the previous version of the IDE with the same results. I tried running the IDE in Windows 7 compatibility mode and the result was the same.

Edit: Ok, I found another thread for the 1.6.3 IDE and it said to remove the arduino I5 folder from the user/appdat/roaming directory. When I do that and the IDE does load. But when I try loading a sketch, there are errors and the sketch/example options in the file pull down go away. When I close the IDE and try to re-open, I'm back to the original issue.

Edit2: Ok, I narrowed the problem down to a bad folder in my sketch folder. Once I eliminated the offending folder all works fine now. Sorry about troubling you with this issue.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

I am having the same problem with 1.6.4 but removing the arduino I5 folder did not work. Is there a fix for this?

Wait for Win10 next month to get back to Win7 type functionality?
MrsCrossroads also has 8.1 and hates it. I have Win7Pro and do not have problems (with 1.0.6 anyway, not using any hardware that needs 1.6.x Yet).

I do not know if I have a problem or a bug in the 1.6.4 IDE. I am running the IDE on a Windows 8.1 64bit machine. I have tried the IDE with a UNO R3 and a first generation Galileo. I have found no problems with the UNO but the Galileo is giving me problems. An example is the simple blink program. It complies under 1.6.4 and uploads with no errors but pin 13 stays high. I can compile the same sketch using the 1.5.3 IDE and pin 13 switches like you expect. I have tried compiling a couple of other sketches and uploading to Galileo with no errors but no sign of running. Logging into the Galileo using PUTTY I can see the sketch.elf file in the sketch directory changing size when I compile a different sketch. I have run these test with both the on board kernal and the micro SD kernal. Any Suggestions

I'm trying to install silently for multiple computers in a lab environment using SCCM and am getting a "Would you like to install this device software?" Windows Security box that pops up for Arduino srl and Arduino LLC. I exported the certs and add the certificates before starting the installation, but I still get the security box popping up for the srl cert. The LLC cert works fine. Here's the batch file contents:

@echo off
:: Adds trusted certificate
cmd /c certutil -f -enterprise -addstore "TrustedPublisher" ArduinoSRL.cer
cmd /c certutil -f -enterprise -addstore "TrustedPublisher" ArduinoLLC.cer
echo Installing Arduino 1.6.4
:: Installs program silent
cmd /c %~dp0arduino-1.6.4-windows.exe /S

Any help is appreciated.

It is good news for Java lovers but before downloading it you need to go through the its tutorial from where make sure it is right version..

Hello guys!

I have just received my Arduino Due, so far I have only worked with Mega and Nano which means I had to install the boards. From the menu, I decided to update my IDE as well. When I try to install the Arduino SAM Boards from the boards manager I get the following error: "CRC doesn't match. File is corrupted". I tried several times to ensure that it is not a genuine CRC failure but it happens every time. Can you please advise on what to do and whether I can install the boards manually?

Regards,
Sammy

Uhm it may be due to some network errors. Follow these steps:

• Open File > Preferences
  • Click on "preferences.txt" at the bottom of the window
  • Delete/Rename the "staging" folder.

This will cause the IDE to re-download all previously downloaded core files

Hi Federico,

I deleted the folder but it still fails, it downloaded a sam-1.6.4.tar.bz2 file, I tried opening it with WinZip but it is still corrupted. Any other suggestions? Can I do it manually?

Regards,
Sammy

Can any kind soul please shed some light on how to modify Serial buffer sizes and I2C bus speeds for the Arduino Due in the new IDE?

With the 1.5.x versions there was a sam folder under hardware/arduino. I don't see that with the new 1.6.4 version even after using board manager to install the Sam cores

N3kr0manc3r:
Can any kind soul please shed some light on how to modify Serial buffer sizes and I2C bus speeds for the Arduino Due in the new IDE?

With the 1.5.x versions there was a sam folder under hardware/arduino. I don't see that with the new 1.6.4 version even after using board manager to install the Sam cores

On windows the cores and board info is located here (if your name is Chris): C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15

On linux, I believe its kept in the home folder.

I fixed the CRC error by going to a different network, apparently the firewall at work was blocking the connection somehow.