XBee Shield not sending, but receiving ok

Configuration:

• First XBee S1 connected to XBee Shield 1.4 connected to Arduino Leonardo connected to laptop (Linux Mint) using USB
  • Second XBee S1 connected to XBee Explorer connected to same laptop.
  • Both XBees are configured with the same custom network ID and with address 0 for broadcast (source + destination)

Arduino code:

Behaviour:

• Typing in XCTU console is correctly sending the data the whole way to the Arduino IDE Serial monitor: XCTU console -> USB -> XBee Explorer -> XBee 2 -> XBee 1 -> XBee Shield -> Arduino -> USB -> Arduino IDE Serial monitor.
  • Sending data the opposite direction sends data correctly to Arduino (verified by echoing back to Serial monitor), but the data is not received by the XCTU console.
  • XCTU can find the XBee on the Arduino when clicking "Discover radio nodes in the same network."
  • Swapping the two XBees does not have any effect on the behaviour - it's not an issue with one of the XBees, but with the setup/configuration.
  • Using different addresses for the XBees does not have any effect on the behaviour.

It might be a configuration error, but I was unlucky to find any useful information on the Internet.

Thanks for your help!

• First XBee S1 connected to XBee Shield 1.4 connected to Arduino Leonardo connected to laptop (Linux Mint) using USB

Version 1.4 of what design? Post links to the hardware.

• Both XBees are configured with the same custom network ID and with address 0 for broadcast (source + destination)

Why? You have two XBees designed to talk to one other XBee. Why are you trying to force them to do something different? Why are you surprised and disappointed when that doesn't work?

It might be a configuration error

No. There is no "might" about it.

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

Sorry, it's one of these XBee Shields: Xbee Shield for Arduino - DFRobot

I don't get your second comment. I'm not forcing them to do anything different. I've used the default configuration, which didn't work (or worked only as far as I explained). Then I've configured a different network ID, which is good practice and works as fine as the initial configuration.
I've also tried to make them explicitly talk to each other (directed communication) by setting different addresses (not 0 for broadcast, which is the default). Also that WAS working, but again only as far as everything else.

I'd be very appreciative about any hints or comments that can help me solve this problem. However, there's no place for condescending comments in this forum, particularly when there's no reason for them (is there ever?).

So, the problem was simply that the firmware that the Xbees came with couldn't handle this situation. After a firmware upgrade everything was working just fine :slight_smile: