Arduino sending MIDI to two devices at the same time?

So I'm building something that I plan on sending MIDI data to two devices with. Both are listening to different channels/notes.

Can I just send the same data from the Arduino (just parallel cables) to both? I would imagine there's an impedance issue with doing that, but building a MIDI thru seems less easy than it seems like it ought to be.

Has anyone managed something like this before?

Also, when you use MIDI out from the Arduino, does it mean you can't use something like an XBee at the same time?

Can I just send the same data from the Arduino (just parallel cables) to both?

Funny you should ask...this just came up a little while ago and this is what we suggested:

http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/circuit__29.html

Also, when you use MIDI out from the Arduino, does it mean you can't use something like an XBee at the same time?

It very much depends upon which I/O pins are being used for what. To tout or own solution, the Flexible MIDI Shield can be set up to transmit and receive on a variety of pins to try to avoid pin conflicts with other shields. You could even use two of these shields to send data over two different cables independently (though they don't stack directly on top of another because of how tall the MIDI connectors are -- you'd need another shield or spacer in-between).

--
BeatVox: inexpensive sound shield for Arduino, 3.5mm stereo output, 512Kbyte FLASH

RuggedCircuits:

Can I just send the same data from the Arduino (just parallel cables) to both?

Funny you should ask...this just came up a little while ago and this is what we suggested:

http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/circuit__29.html

That looks perfect! Does the code have to change any when doing that? (other than the appropriate MIDI messages)

Also, tried looking that IRLIB9343 up and I can't find it in the usual places. Is it difficult to come across?

It very much depends upon which I/O pins are being used for what. To tout or own solution, the Flexible MIDI Shield can be set up to transmit and receive on a variety of pins to try to avoid pin conflicts with other shields. You could even use two of these shields to send data over two different cables independently (though they don't stack directly on top of another because of how tall the MIDI connectors are -- you'd need another shield or spacer in-between).

I'm guessing using the regular tx/rx or whatever it is the XBee normally does. My project doesn't need this specifically, but I thought I might try to future proof it a little bit by sticking wireless comm in there with it.

That looks perfect! Does the code have to change any when doing that? (other than the appropriate MIDI messages)

No, the code is the same. The hardware simply broadcasts the same serial signal to two MIDI OUT connectors.

Also, tried looking that IRLIB9343 up and I can't find it in the usual places. Is it difficult to come across?

It's widely in stock at Digi-Key, Farnell, Newark, etc. But really any P-channel logic-level MOSFET will work fine. The circuit may even work with a PNP transistor too (like a 2N3906) though you can't go out to as many MIDI OUT channels as with a MOSFET. Not a consideration if you only have 2 MIDI OUT's.

--
The Rugged Circuits Yellowjacket: 802.11 WiFi module with ATmega328P microcontroller, only 1.6" x 1.2", bootloader

Heh, I guess my search wasn't exhaustive. I'm placing a big order to Mouser at the moment, so I checked there and ebay.

I only plan on sending it two places, so you think a PNP will do the trick?

Or is this the same thing? (Logic stuff is way over my head)
NTR4171PT1G
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/NTR4171PT1G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kDZroqK2FpCvs821zBq3iqw%3D

The NTR4171PT1G should work just fine. A PNP should also work for only 2 outputs.

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

Sweet thanks!

I'll keep my eyes peeled on your shop too for any bits I need.