Iduino Yun Shield

Hi all,

I am super stumped right now. I have an Iduino Yun - Can get on web interface fine, set the board (Genuine Arduino Mega 2560) and created the board config for the IDE and it seems it all. I can upload a sketch but on example sketches, I am trying to see the console output (via serial monitor) and it just keeps saying unable to connect - retrying again etc and then asks if I have set the bridge up Ok?

If I tried to upload a sketch when I have set the board to something different it throws up the error saying it is the wrong board effectively so I think the bridge is working and it is talking so just don't understand what is happening here at the moment.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions please?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

I am not familiar with that clone shield, only the actual Arduino Yun, and there are likely to be differences.

If you are loading your code onto a Mega, you are probably using a USB connection. Then you say you are trying to connect to the Console: please be aware that the console is designed to be used over the network, not a USB connection. You need to have one of the Yun's network addresses (either WiFi or Ethernet) selected in the IDE's Port menu if you want the SerialMonitor to connect to the Console class. With an actual You use a Serial in your sketch if you want to talk over USB, and Console if you want to talk over the network - your shield may be slightly different.

The messages you describe sound exactly like the messages you would get if you were trying to access the Console class over USB, or if the sketch is using Serial instead of Console, and you are trying to open the SerialMonitor over the network.

To summarize:

• To talk over USB: use Serial in the sketch, and select the USB port in the Port menu.
  • To talk over the network: use Console in the sketch, and select the network address in the Port menu.
  • Any other combination won't work.

Hi Shapeshifter,

Sorry for not making it clear enough... I have no connection via usb at all. I am solely powering the board by a dc adapter and then the iduino (same as dragino) yun is a shield on top. It is connected to the wifi. I can telnet into it and upload sketches in fine but the console isn't working.

I noticed the dragino board is almost identical and so will try some recommendations and tutorials on that too. Maybe Iduino's wiki is just not clear enough.

Thanks for your help so far.

I got this working tonight!

It was mainly down to the boards definition and used this one:

In line with that I also flashed my iduino yun board with the dragino yun firmware (essentially the same boards) and now it works!

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else gets stuck!

Zimbo that is very interesting. I too have the Iduino Yun Shield and I'm having some trouble using it to send SMTP mail even though similar code works fine on my Ethernet shield.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference between Iduino and Dragino firmware but I'll give it a try as you did. I'm interested that you can use your Iduino Wifi setup while using serial.print to monitor it.

Using Console.println has not been entirely fruitful at least for my use with Iduino Sheild.

Arduinme:
I'm having some trouble using it to send SMTP mail even though similar code works fine on my Ethernet shield.

If it's similar code, that might be the problem. The Yun (and the clone shields) are completely different from an Ethernet Shield. Any code written for the Ethernet Shield and it's libraries will not run on a Yun. It's an almost total rewrite.

It's easiest to do all if the communications through the Linux side, especially sending mail. But if you want to do it from the sketch, you will have no luck if the sketch includes Ethernet.h - you need to go through the Bridge library.

Right - if you look at the code I included in my post, I was trying to convert anything that looked like Ethernet related to the equivalent Wifi or Yun code. But as yet, no luck.

I looked at the dragino2-Yun-common v2.0.6 firmware you referred to and it bares the same name and size as the one referenced in the Iduino Yun Shield Wiki - not certain how they differ but will reload anyway.

Arduinme:
Right - if you look at the code I included in my post

I see no code in this thread.

Arduinme:
Right - if you look at the code I included in my post, I was trying to convert anything that looked like Ethernet related to the equivalent Wifi or Yun code. But as yet, no luck.

Yun and Ethernet shield should never share same code base!

Hi!

I would like to do a TimeCheck with Arduino Uno R3 + Iduino Wifi Shield.

Timecheck:

Can someomne help me?
Somebody has a code or library?

I don't know how can I get the shield to recieve the current date and time.

I need the current time for my nixie tube clock.
So after the shield get the time I have to give it somehow to the clock.

I am beginner to the programing of arduino, so if someone knows the answer it would help me alot.

Thank you!

kovecses:
Somebody has a code or library?

Code? What about the TimeCheck example that you posted right above that line. Is that giving you trouble?

I don't know how can I get the shield to recieve the current date and time.

The idea of that TimeCheck sample sketch is that it asks the Linux side of the Yun for the time.

The Linux side gets the time and date from the Internet by periodically contacting an NTP server. Therefore, your Yun must have Internet access. If it does, it should all be automatic. (Although it may take a minute or two after the Linux side boots before the time is valid.)

So after the shield get the time I have to give it somehow to the clock.

So, use the TimeCheck example as a guide. Once you read the time from the Linux system into your sketch, it's up to your code in the sketch to do something useful with that time (like display it.)

I'm not sure what exactly is your problem here. Which part are you having trouble with?