USBASP PROGRAMMER ON Port_#0001.Hub_#0003 NOT SERIAL PORT XX?

I have installed the USBASP driver and it shows up in the devices list on port #001.Hub #003 type libusb-win32. Arduino needs a port number, so does not upload.

Any suggestions, please?

Are you sure that avrdude (the program the Arduino IDE uses to upload to the Arduino) doesn't know how to find the USBasp device? It worked for me on a Macintosh and I didn't have to load any drivers.

I am running on win7, and Arduino IDE claims to have uploaded successfully to the usbasp whether it is plugged into the usb port or not. It does not in fact upload to the micro controller and the "data exchange" led on the usbasp does not light up.

johnwasser:
Are you sure that avrdude (the program the Arduino IDE uses to upload to the Arduino) doesn't know how to find the USBasp device? It worked for me on a Macintosh and I didn't have to load any drivers.

Yeah, Linux and MacOS do not need a kernel driver, WinDoze does:
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28.zip

I have installed this driver and windows7 seems happy with it. However, when I check the port address in the devices properties it comes up as" port#0001.hub#003". Ardunino does not recognize that, as it seems to want "PORT xx". Windows shows the type as "libusb-win32" whereas when I plug in an Arduino duemilanove, that shows up as PORTS (COM and LPT) and serial converter.

Interesting development= I soldered the jumper into the usbasp which allows low frequency uploading and when I tried to burn a bootloader, the ide suggested I select port 11. It then successfully burned the bootloader onto a blank atmega 328??? I was able to upload the "blink" sketch onto my new Arduino chip using my duemilanove board but I cannot upload anything using the usbasp. Would this be because of the atmega having fuses which need resetting? Not sure if that's the correct terminology.

Arduino needs a port number

In the tools menu you can select USBasp, and then you can use upload using programmer.
In this case you don't need to specify a COM port number

Just remember when you "Upload via Programmer" sketches, it will overwrite the bootloader and you will not have Upload capability from a USB2UART device (i.e. FTDI, duemilanove, etc). Only the USBasp or SPI device will work. You will have to reburn the bootloader to put it back. Also, after you burn the bootloader with SLOW_CLK on, the fuses will be set to run the USBasp at full speed with SLOW_CLK off.

Thanks for the info-I am learning so much. Just one question please - how do I burn the bootloader with "SLOW_CLK on"?

JP1 (SLOW_SCK) for less than 1.5MHz clock communication. You should have two other jumper locations for Self Programming (JP2) and Target Power (JP3).

Great, think I've got that now, thanks.

I just find it frustrating that the bootloader burns via the usbasp, but sketches will not upload = I always get "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" :frowning:

Are you using File -> Upload via Programmer? If you load a sketch in this fashion, it will overwrite the bootloader and you will not be able to upload via UART. You will need to reburn the bootloader to reactivate this feature.

I have been using Tools/ Programmer/ Usbasp but I tried File/Upload using Programmer and it uploads perfectly.

Thanks very much for the advice.:slight_smile:

i had this problem in 1.5.5 it needed an active comport even though it was not used... i just chose my motherboards