Arduino 101 Error: device not responding.

Hi All,

I've been using a arduino mega for some time and have had no problems thus far. Then I bought an Arduino 101 last week and have not been able to get it to load a sketch. The following is what I have attempted thus far.

First I plugged in my 101 thinking it would work just as quick and easy as the mega. The windows usb connect and disconnect sounded several times making me wonder what was going on, I'm still not positive that wasn't/isn't part of the problem. In the mean time I started the IDE, used the board manager and was able to select the 101 board and com port 11. I got the following error while trying to upload the blink sketch (at the time the IDE was version 1.6.7, but the error at the end was the same, I just didn't save it because I didn't think I was going to end here):

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino 101"

Sketch uses 29,994 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 196,608 bytes.
C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18/arduino101load/arduino101load C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18/x86/bin C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.bin COM11 verbose 
Starting download script...
Args to shell: [C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18/x86/bin C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.bin COM11 verbose]
Serial Port: COM11
BIN FILE C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.bin
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Flashing is taking longer than expected
Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
ERROR: Device is not responding.
Device is not responding, check the right serial port is selected or RESET the board right before exporting

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Then I did exactly what it said and reset the board with the same result. I tried timing the reset to coincide with the upload start several times. I then scoured the internet looking for solutions, including the troubleshooting posts for the 101. I updated to the latest IDE, removed it completely, reinstalled it. I tried different usb cables, different usb ports, 2.0 and 3.0. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver in the device manager. I'm sure I tried other things that I don't remember anymore.

When I plug in the 101, the usb connect sounds, and after 5 seconds it sounds a disconnect. When I master reset the board it does the same thing every time. The board still shows on the device manager even after the disconnect sound. When I uninstall the driver in the device manager and plug in the board, the connect sounds, installs the driver again, and it does not sound a disconnect (as if everything is going to be ok) until I try and upload a sketch, and then I get the error message again, always the same one.

I am at a complete loss. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Have you found a solution for this problem? I'm experiencing the same trouble...

Well, on my windows 7 laptop I have had no luck, but I was able to get the board to upload the blink sketch using my just dusted off today vista desktop. I am still scratching my head, especially because the first time I tried to upload I got the same error as on my laptop, but the second time, it worked.... Anyways, I am happy that I can at least try out the board now (and that the problem isn't hardware, and I'm looking forward to when someone finally figures out what is going on so I can use it on my lap top as well. until then, I'll keep trying, and if anyone has any useful new ideas, please post. Thanks.

I've been experiencing the same problem. A project I started under the previous version of the IDE now yields the same error you mentioned. Version 1.0.4 of the Curie library was included with that previous version of the IDE.

My curiosity is if some of the tooling now fails with USB3 ports.

My setup: Retina MacBook Pro (all USB3 ports) and the Arduino 101.

NOTE: I have tried removing application and all supporting library folders and reinstalling with no luck.

I've seen instances where a sketch upload flashed a corrupted binary for some reason. After that the IDE can't reboot the board and subsequent sketch uploads time out. If I "help" it by hitting the reset button, then it's ok. Does your problem exist even after hitting reset?

Brian

I've hit the reset button repeatedly trying to time it so it would reset right when the sketch started to upload. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ide, versions 1.67 and 1.68, and the curie version 1.04 and 1.05. Reinstalled drivers, etc etc. I've tried everything I've found on the internet that seemed to be related to problems uploading sketches. USB 3 and USB 2 ports. I have not been able to upload a sketch to my 101 with this laptop although it works fine with my mega board. On my desktop with windows vista it worked the second try.

The bizzar thing is I plug in the 101 and it makes the usb connection noise, and then the disconnection noise, but after that it still shows up connected correctly in the device manager, and the right com port shows in the ide like everything is just fine. But nothing is fine. Its very frustrating. I do hope someone figures this out.

Can you try running the following command to see if you get any error:
%localappdata%\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\x86\bin\dfu-util.exe" -l

Try running it also immediately after resetting the board. I'd just like to see if there are any errors or if dfu-util is able to see the board as it boots.

Thanks for helping out Bbaltz. :slight_smile:

I ran the program from the command prompt and it spat out:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\Liz>C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino10
1load\1.6.4+1.18\x86\bin\dfu-util.exe
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

You need to specify one of -D or -U
Usage: dfu-util [options] ...
  -h --help                     Print this help message
  -V --version                  Print the version number
  -v --verbose                  Print verbose debug statements
  -l --list                     List currently attached DFU capable devices
  -e --detach                   Detach currently attached DFU capable devices
  -E --detach-delay seconds     Time to wait before reopening a device after det
ach
  -d --device <vendor>:<product>[,<vendor_dfu>:<product_dfu>]
                                Specify Vendor/Product ID(s) of DFU device
  -p --path <bus-port. ... .port>       Specify path to DFU device
  -c --cfg <config_nr>          Specify the Configuration of DFU device
  -i --intf <intf_nr>           Specify the DFU Interface number
  -S --serial <serial_string>[,<serial_string_dfu>]
                                Specify Serial String of DFU device
  -a --alt <alt>                Specify the Altsetting of the DFU Interface
                                by name or by number
  -t --transfer-size <size>     Specify the number of bytes per USB Transfer
  -U --upload <file>            Read firmware from device into <file>
  -Z --upload-size <bytes>      Specify the expected upload size in bytes
  -D --download <file>          Write firmware from <file> into device
  -R --reset                    Issue USB Reset signalling once we're finished
  -s --dfuse-address <address>  ST DfuSe mode, specify target address for
                                raw file download or upload. Not applicable for
                                DfuSe file (.dfu) downloads

I'm not quite sure if that is what you were expecting, or if I need to do something else? Please advise. Anyway that was 2 seconds after resetting the board.

Thanks,

Liz

ok, so I read up on the dfu utility, and then I ran it again with -l at the end to list attached devices, and it did not list any devices at all.

Thanks.
Normally, running the utility doesn't show anything. The dfu utility should list several lines if it's run within the first few seconds after resetting the board. In Windows Device Manager, you will also see a "Arduino 101 DFU Interface" device under the 'libusb (WinUSB)' device group during this period. Do you see any of this?

The dfu utility appeared exactly the same whether or not I had just reset the 101. But, the "Arduino 101 DFU Interface" did show up in the device manager momentarily when resetting.

Thanks,
Liz

Ive been having the same problem, and i was able to switch to another laptop that had a USB 2.0 port and finally i could pass the sketch to the board. What a pain.

I have the same problem on my laptop running Windows 7 but it seems to work fine on my laptop at home running Windows 10. I don't know if this could have something to do with it.

lsaunders:
I have the same problem on my laptop running Windows 7 but it seems to work fine on my laptop at home running Windows 10. I don't know if this could have something to do with it.

Try the steps in the stickied thread at the top of the main 101 forum.
"dfu-utils update -> please test if you have upload problems"
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=388754.0

Solved my problem in Win7 weeks back.

Hello,

Got same message using laptop with windows XP.

Sketch uses 41,250 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 196,608 bytes.
Starting download script...
Device is not responding, check the right serial port is selected or RESET the board right before exporting

So, is this a problem with version of windows? Do I have to change machine?

I was having the same problem: unable to upload a program to a brand new 101. Now it works.

I can successfully load both BLE LED example programs and also the ReadTime program read via Serial Monitor. (BTW, using the iOS MCP app, you need to send either 00 or 01 to turn the LED on/off.)

I am running a modern 64 bit laptop with USB 3.0 ports. All ports work fine with either of two USB cables that I have. So I don't believe the problem is related to USB cables or USB 2.0/3.0.

How did I fix it? Well, I tried several things and I'm not sure which one fixed it, so perhaps someone can try these methodically and confirm the best fix.

1. Uninstall the Arduino IDE and manually deleted the Arduino15 folder in user..\AppsData.

2. Restart laptop.

3. Download and install IDE 1.6.8. (Earlier failed attempt was with current 1.6.9.)

4. Restart laptop.

5. Open IDE. In Boards Manager, searched Intel, selected Curie boards, and install v1.0.4. (Earlier failed attempt was with current 1.0.5.)

6. Restart laptop.

7. Open IDE. Plug in 101 for the first time. Device showed up normally in Device Manager.

8. Select proper port (COM5 for me) and proper board (101). Select example file LED under CurieBle. Click verify. Looks good. Click upload. SUCCESS! Can now see the 101 in nRF MCP, can turn LED on/off. BLE functions now work with 5V USB charger. (but not 9V battery, guess that's not an option) No need to press either reset button during upload.

So the fix is either one of the software downgrades, or careful installation procedure.

Previously, I tried the dfu-utils updates but that didn't fix this problem.

With the current setup, I see this message:

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
can't detach

Hey I saw your post and I was wondering if you can get the arduino to show up on bluetooth devices when it's serial port is not connected to the PC. The arduino only appears on Bluetooth if its connected to my laptop, but if I remove it and try providing power using a 9V battery, or directly giving 3.3V at the pin, the Bluetooth functionality is lost (even though the device is technically on as the green LED is on)

Could you please help me with this issue, if there's any workaround.

when this problem will get solved ?

I'm using Macbook with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and Intel Curie board 1.0.6

Try to upload sketch and got this error

Anything updated about this issue?

kpansavuth:
I'm using Macbook with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and Intel Curie board 1.0.6

Try to upload sketch and got this error

Anything updated about this issue?

I am facing the same problem with my brand new Genuino 101. I have installed 1.6.9 IDE and the latest curie board. Please help. The board power LED too doesnt come up when connected to the USB on my mac.