Uno not recognized as USB

So I'm afraid I may have nuked my Uno. Last night it was working fine and I was playing around with a couple of DC motors. At first I was driving one motor via an H bridge using the onboard 5V pin as my power supply, and it was performing as I expected. I added a second motor to the H bridge, and shortly thereafter I tried to upload a new program to the board. The Arduino software erred, stating that my COM port wasn't found. I'm thinking maybe I overdrew the board because of the second motor.

Now when I plug in the Uno, the green 'ON' LED near the reset button lights up. However, the Uno doesn't show up in my Device Manager at all anymore. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate as an admin.

Did I kill my board? Is there anything I can do to try and recover it?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Did I kill my board? Is there anything I can do to try and recover it?

Try a different USB port on your PC, or even better a different PC. You may have damaged the USB port on the PC by drawing too much current. The Arduino board has a 500ma polyfuse that tries and protect the PC's USB port from overcurrent but it's a slow acting fuse, and perhaps your PC usb has an internal protection fuse that blew open first.

Lefty

Yep, tried both another USB on this machine and another machine altogether. Same results. I also tried a different USB cable, so it's got to be something with the board itself, I think.

Thanks,
Jonathan

possibly you didn't kill it , however if you have ensured it's not making any short-circuits, and no 2 motor's can make your arduino go dead , if wrongly wired then the motor's will not just work that's it,
unplug the arduino>give a restart (Computer)>plug in the Arduino again.

in most of the cases this remedy work's as in mine(had seen such problem a lot many times had one even today)

There's absolutely nothing connected to the Uno except the USB cable. I've rebooted a couple of times since the issue started, as well as tried a separate machine completely.

Thanks,
Jonathan

that's something unusual trying with the same arduino IDE pack? or installed fresh IDE on other System's?

I didn't install the IDE on the second machine. I just connected the Uno to the machine to check if it would be recognized as a USB device. It wasn't.

Thanks,
Jonathan

sometimes the svchost and other group of viruses run that definitely block up your COM ports like i experienced once using the WINAVR not arduino IDE when i was loading bootloader through my home made Serial Programmer so there could be several MAL-scripts running or would you have messed with the ATmega 8u2 USB chip , any place you tried to have your UNO enter a DFU mode if not then somthing is suspicious with UNO's Hardware.