Why can't I open sketchbook?

I'm just trying to get started with arduino, but for some reason it won't let me open sketchbook from the file menu. If I hover the cursor over it no menu comes up. What am I doing wrong?

(deleted)

If I hover the cursor over it no menu comes up. What am I doing wrong?

You don't just hover over it, you lefty click on the file icon and a menu will open. You will find a entry for 'examples' that will then open to a ton of example sketches all ready to open into the IDE text window. Any sketches you write for your self and then save will also show up later in the files menu.

Lefty

Sorry, I'm still confused. I'm trying to open the blink sketch, like it shows in this tutorial: Arduino Tutorial - Lesson 1 - Let there be blink!
Do I need to download the file to get it into my sketchbook, or how do I get it? There's no slide-out menu like it shows in the screen shot, and when I click on sketchbook the menu goes away.

saltydeath:
Sorry, I'm still confused. I'm trying to open the blink sketch, like it shows in this tutorial: Arduino Tutorial - Lesson 1 - Let there be blink!
Do I need to download the file to get it into my sketchbook, or how do I get it? There's no slide-out menu like it shows in the screen shot, and when I click on sketchbook the menu goes away.

Those screen shots are from a very old Arduino IDE version 9, we are up to version 22 these days.

To find blink skectch the menu order is File/Examples/Basic/Blink

Thanks, that solves it. Can I go through the rest of the steps in that tutorial now, or is there a better updated version I should be following?

The tutorials are still valid. Just don't get too hung up on the screens matching exactly.