Reset jumper?

After all the issues I see here in the forums relating to reset issues. Having to add a resistor on the reset pin when using the Arduino as an ISP programmer is kinda wonky.

Perhaps it would be a worthwhile thing to add either a jumper or a small switch to the next release to deal with this?

The Sanguino has a jumper to disable the reset.

Just sayin...

:grin:

Been up a couple of times, not sure why they don't add one. I am using the Seeeduino's they got a switch instead. And also a reset button that can be reached with a shield on.

So far I haven't really had the need, but it would indeed be nice to have the choice.

That's the thing I'm not getting. I don't have a real genuine Arduino board. All the boards I have are 'compatibles'. I have yet to have an issue using one of these as an ISP. For me things JustWork[tm].

However, I see many, many posts in these forums with issues pointing to resets on Arduino boards. Could not help but think there should be an easy way to disable the reset if it is causing that much havoc.

An very easy way... would be taking the pin out of the circuit and adding a switch + resistor.

I haven't really had problems using the arduino as ISP-programmer since I don't use it as ISP-programmer. :smiley:

My point for "wanting" a jumper is/was resetting the PC. When you do that a non-Uno also resets, while there may be a need to only... reset the PC.

I haven't worked with uno though, one might be able to work around the reset-pin by programming the
ATmega8U2.

If you understand that the basic target of the Arduino is the non-technical user then you will understand why the trend has been away from the use of jumpers as the board has evolved. In the process it has become easier to use by the intended audience and harder to use by the more technically inclined. This isn't necessarily a bad thing due to the availability of compatible boards that don't incorporate those 'improvements'.

Don