12 servos to Arduino Uno power issues?

Hi guys,

So I'm a noob when it comes to the electrical side of these things (I'm a programmer so I'm venturing on fresh turf!). Basically I'm trying to build a quadruped with 12 servos, I've connected them up to a Sensor Shield Expansion Board V5 that sits on top of the Arduino Uno (i.e. the pins plug directly into it).

Thing is, when I run some code from this site, the servos move in a twitchy way, and the usb continuously disconnects and reconnects.

I'm assuming this is some kind power issue - I'm only connecting the Uno via a USB port but I also tried adding a 9V battery with no luck... Not sure how to make this go smoothly.

This was where I was copying the structure from. ATM I've only got the servos, shield and Uno connected up.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Can you post a link to the sensor shield that you purchased?
I do not want to give bad advice by making guesses.

How are you powering the servos? You do not want to power servos through the arduino voltage regulator.
Most servo expansion boards have a place to screw on the wires from a battery to power the servos.

You will need a substantial, external power supply for the servos, 5-6V at 1 Ampere per moving servo.

If all 12 servos can be moving at once, you will need a 12 Ampere power supply, minimum.