IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.10

(deleted)

(deleted)

Hey, I have a problem in uploading code to my arduino uno r3. My windows 7 in online search send a message that 'Windows is unable to find driver software for your unknown device. Use WCHDownload Here

ShannonLowe:
driver software

If your USB chip (the one closest to the USB connector) is marked "CH340" you can download the driver from the manufacturer's website: www.wch.cn.
HTH.

I've got a problem with Arduino 1.8.9 and my MKR Vidor 4000. I will upload a sketch (after double-tapping button on Vidor to put into bootloader mode), the sketch uploads successfully and Vidor reboots, but then the IDE will hang for a few seconds and state that it could not find the board on port X (whatever the port may be when not in bootloader mode).

This is not necessarily a problem, but then I'll open the Port menu and find that the IDE has added an additional entry for the Vidor 4000 port when there already was one. So I will have 2 or 3 instances of "COM4 (Arduino MKR Vidor 4000)" listed under Port. I have seen up to 4 instances.

All of them seem to work, but it is somewhat of an annoyance and completely redundant.

mbyington:
I've got a problem with Arduino 1.8.9 and my MKR Vidor 4000. I will upload a sketch (after double-tapping button on Vidor to put into bootloader mode), the sketch uploads successfully and Vidor reboots, but then the IDE will hang for a few seconds and state that it could not find the board on port X (whatever the port may be when not in bootloader mode).

This is not necessarily a problem, but then I'll open the Port menu and find that the IDE has added an additional entry for the Vidor 4000 port when there already was one. So I will have 2 or 3 instances of "COM4 (Arduino MKR Vidor 4000)" listed under Port. I have seen up to 4 instances.

All of them seem to work, but it is somewhat of an annoyance and completely redundant.

I've encounter the same problem with my MKR boards many times. For me, it seems to be related to having the Serial Monitor open when I try to upload to my board (which works fine on any other board). The workaround I've found is to exit all the IDE windows, unplug my board, then start the IDE again. It is quite inconvenient to get halted like that during development work, but at least it's a fairly quick fix. I don't know what the underlying cause of this could be.

mbyington:

Here we have a dedicated thread for the duplicate ports issue:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=613070
let's centralize discussion of the issue to that thread. You might want to open the link above and click the "Receive Emails" button in order to get notifications of any progress we make on investigating and fixing this issue.

after update 1.8.8 -> 1.8.9
Arduino IDE (Linux Mint)
sketch Blink

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/home/
/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/ttyUSB0
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 9600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

And Sketch -> Upload Using Programmer:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware -tools /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/tools-builder -tools /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -built-in-libraries /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/libraries -libraries /home//Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328old -vid-pid=1A86_7523 -ide-version=10809 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_877312 -warnings=all -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_4918 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino14.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -verbose /tmp/arduino_modified_sketch_862434/Blink.ino
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware -tools /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/tools-builder -tools /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -built-in-libraries /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/libraries -libraries /home//Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328old -vid-pid=1A86_7523 -ide-version=10809 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_877312 -warnings=all -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_4918 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino14.path=/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr -verbose /tmp/arduino_modified_sketch_862434/Blink.ino
Using board 'nano' from platform in folder: /home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: /home/
/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr
Detecting libraries used...
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/arduino_build_877312/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp -o /dev/null
Generating function prototypes...
/home/
/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/arduino_build_877312/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp -o /tmp/arduino_build_877312/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/tools-builder/ctags/5.8-arduino11/ctags -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives /tmp/arduino_build_877312/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp
Compiling sketch...
/home/
/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -Wextra -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino -I/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/arduino_build_877312/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp -o /tmp/arduino_build_877312/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp.o
Compiling libraries...
Compiling core...
Using precompiled core: /tmp/arduino_cache_4918/core/core_arduino_avr_nano_cpu_atmega328old_a687f7defd46b41b409db8a8fe16211a.a
Linking everything together...
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -Wall -Wextra -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -o /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.elf /tmp/arduino_build_877312/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp.o /tmp/arduino_build_877312/../arduino_cache_4918/core/core_arduino_avr_nano_cpu_atmega328old_a687f7defd46b41b409db8a8fe16211a.a -L/tmp/arduino_build_877312 -lm
/home/
/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objcopy -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.elf /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.eep
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.elf /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.hex
/home/
/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size -A /tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.elf
Sketch uses 930 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:/tmp/arduino_build_877312/Blink.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "/home//ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
/.avrduderc"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

4eburashk:
Overriding Baud Rate : 9600

Which board do you have selected from the Tools > Board menu? I'm not aware of any bootloaders that communicate at 9600 baud. Did you modify boards.txt?

4eburashk:
Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

This indicates you did a Sketch > Upload Using Programmer, but without an ISP programmer connected. Do you have an ISP programmer? Is it connected?

You're really not doing yourself any favors by dumping some random error messages on a random forum thread without bothering to take a few seconds to provide the additional information we need to help you.

Board "Arduino nano".
Yas ~/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt modified
nano.menu.cpu.atmega328.upload.speed=9600

$ avrdude -v -v -v -v -C /home/***/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b57600 -Uflash:w:/tmp/arduino_build_339350/Blink.ino.hex

/.avrduderc"

Using Port : /dev/ttyUSB0
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

4eburashk:
Board "Arduino nano".
Yas ~/ARDUINO/arduino-1.8.9/hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt modified
nano.menu.cpu.atmega328.upload.speed=9600

Why did you modify boards.txt?

pert:
Why did you modify boards.txt?

lowered the transfer rate because it did not work

You need to use an upload baud rate that matches the baud rate of the bootloader. Unless you flashed a modified bootloader to your Nano, there is no chance that it communicates at 9600 baud.

Before you made that modification, did you try doing a standard upload (not Upload Using Programmer) with Tools > Processor > ATmega328P and Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?

Yes. I reflashed microcontrollers many times using Arduino IDE. And well.
After the update, it stopped working. Errors and does not work...

Hey!

I've seen some simular problems like yours in my MacBook.
There are many bugs in IOS that needs to be fixed. Last time I used Arduino-UnoR3 in my MacBook, I
could not send my codes to the board. I checked everything but.... not working. So I decided to use a
Windows 10 instead. When I use my MacBook for Arduino, I usually use Tinkercad.

Just tried to upgrade to 1.8.9 from 1.8.6. All my coded programs were written in 1.8.6. None (3) of my Nano's
will upload anymore, all I get is error messages. Unfortunately as the upgrade message suggested I uninstalled
1.8.6 so I can't go back. Checked "tools" and all parameters are correct. Any help appreciated. Error message
is come here and look for suggestions. Thanks

You can go back, take a look at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

.9 is gone, .6 is back. Thank you.

107merc:
Just tried to upgrade to 1.8.9 from 1.8.6. All my coded programs were written in 1.8.6. None (3) of my Nano's
will upload anymore, all I get is error messages. Unfortunately as the upgrade message suggested I uninstalled
1.8.6 so I can't go back. Checked "tools" and all parameters are correct. Any help appreciated. Error message
is come here and look for suggestions. Thanks

You need to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader). This problem is related to the version of Arduino AVR Boards you have installed. The change that requires the Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) selection was introduced in Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.23.

The reason you may associate the problem with a particular version of the Arduino IDE is that each version of the Arduino IDE comes with a copy of Arduino AVR Boards pre-installed. The version of Arduino AVR Boards is the current one at the time of the IDE release. The Arduino AVR Boards version bundled with Arduino IDE 1.8.6 was 1.6.22, which the Arduino AVR Boards version bundled with Arduino IDE 1.8.9 is 1.6.23. However, Boards Manager allows you to install any version of Arduino AVR Boards with any version of the Arduino IDE. If you have it enabled in your preferences, you will likely get a notification from the IDE that a new version of Arduino AVR Boards is available. If you follow that notification's advice to update to Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.23, the same requirement to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) will apply, even though you're using Arduino IDE 1.8.6.