Printer stopping mid-print

Although I am having some success with the printer I am also having some annoying problems, which may be a PRINTER problem or a G-CODE problem.

I can normally tell whether I am going to have a problem with a print early in the job when I see that the print-head suddenly goes off to the edge of the bed and then returns to carry on with the plot. If I leave it to carry on printing it does this a few more times before just stopping dead.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Alan

Personally I've had a similar problem where the printer suddenly stopped midprint, and I solved it by checking the power connections on the ramps board. The two power cables should be inside the lifting cages of the connector, not under them, otherwise the wires will get loose with vibrations.

The only time I saw this when there was a problem with the G code file

Hmmm... That is a strange problem. Might I enquire what slic3r settings you are using?

Also If you print the same G-code twice does the printer replicate the issues both times? If it does, it is definetly a issue with the Gcode.

When the printer strays of to the edge of the buildplatform, does it continue at the correct location?

/Kris

When your printer stops, is it resetting or stopping without resetting? My Materia is resetting mid-build.

If the fuses for some reason are overheating, the printer would reset itself.
One reason I could think of is that the case fan is not connected correctly.

/K

In my case, I think I have discovered that the power supply is not supplying enough current. The voltage drops causing a brown out. I am shopping for a new power supply now.

I noticed that the printer can stop when the Z-axis is active if the stepper-drivers v-ref is set too low.

Don't know if this applies here. But it might be worth looking into.

Also: if you connection from the power supply is not good. Only a few of the strands of copper are connected to the motherboard the printer can reset itself and the plastic connector from the power supply can actually start to melt. We just had that issue with a Mendel Prusa from one of the Workshops we host.

benvolio9mm:

If you are in the US and using the power supply on 120V then you may be right that it is a power supply problem as I noticed that when I drive the machine hard, the LEDs flicker a bit which indicates a low voltage condition, however, I run my machine hard and the supply seems to hold up well and does not get hot at the transformer. If you are in Europe, then all bets are off as the transformer should produce more power on 240 volts and you should be alright. No flicker on the LEDs Before purchasing another power supply, go through all of your wiring completely. I suggest you make a check sheet listing all of the connectors and the pin assignment and check them off one by one.