High voltage Versions of 74HC595

Is there an equivalent to the 74HC595 that can handle12 volts? I
am trying to control a Improvised LED Display 12v volts and
can draw up to 1000 mA each.

Thanks,

Charles

I like these... http://www.ti.com/product/tlc5916

The outputs can be paralleled to get to 200mA.

TPIC6x595 series shift registers can handle 50V and high currents.
TPIC6A595 is good for 350mA on each output.

CrossRoads:
TPIC6A595NE Texas Instruments | Integrated Circuits (ICs) | DigiKey

Hi sir. Can i have your email?

CrossRoads:

Note of course, that these are low-side or "cathode" drivers, they can only pull down, not up - and you still need to provide current limiting.

It will be difficult to find a high-side ("anode") driver because it would have to contain additional level converters to control an arbitrarily high voltage .

acosicdm:
Hi sir. Can i have your email?

Why?

{If you look carefully, you will actually find his website linked in his posting!}

Paul__B:
It will be difficult to find a high-side ("anode") driver because it would have to contain additional level converters to control an arbitrarily high voltage .

MIC2981

• Output voltage to 50V
  • Output current to 500mA
  • Transient-protected outputs
  • Integral clamp diodes
  • TTL-, CMOS-, or PMOS-compatible inputs

5 volt input will control a 50V output for high side driving. These work well, I got lucky and got 60 of them on eBay for $8 a while back. No good deals right now. They are around $2 each at Mouser in qty 10+.

Another good choice is Allegro UDN2981, but they have obsoleted them whereas Micrel still makes the part. Still, they are actually available on eBay at decent prices. They are more or less the same thing as the Micrel part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-UDN2981AT-UDN2981A-UDN2981-8-Channel-Source-Drivers-DIP-18-/180920853028

I find having these parts as high side drivers as well as low side drivers like the TPIC6A/B/C595 are very handy for driving LED matrices. It takes all the work off the microcontroller and you can drive as many LEDs rows/columns as you want to provide drivers for.

Another option would be to use transistors/mosfets on the outputs. There are various examples out there of how to use them to step of the voltage of a signal.

Is 1000mA a change? I don't recall seeing that originally. May have just missed it.
That needs discrete transistors, like here. This board can be daisychained if needed. Traces are wide enough to support 1A loads on all transistors, broken into groups of 8 so as not to overload the power-in screw terminals.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

CrossRoads:
Is 1000mA a change?

Yes.

I don't recall seeing that originally. May have just missed it.

Just an inconsiderate human.

@acosicdm, please either create a new post with new information or indicate what change(s) you made.