Help with pressure sensor MD-PS002

Hello!

I've just bought this pressure sensor MD-PS002 http://www.arduiner.com/it/home/116-sensore-pressione-arduino-md-ps002-150kpaa-vacuum-sensor-absolute-pressure-sensor-height.html

The datasheet is in Chineese, and i can't understand how it works. Using google translate i know that Vsupply is 5V, input current is 1mA, range 0-150 Kpa. I can't find the relationship between pressure and output voltage.
Also, i don't know how to connect it!
I attached the pin mapping i've found in the datasheet: can you help me with the circuit? Thanks!!

pressionePin.png

It's implemented as a simple four resistance Wheatstone bridge. You 'excite' the bridge by applying a regulated constant voltage or constant current to the power and ground pins. The you measure the differential millivolt output across the two other pins.
The requires significant support electronics in the form of a true differintial instrumentation op-amp set to the desired amplification (gain) to be useful to read with an arduino analog input pin. Lots of example circuits have been posted around here over the years.

There are pressure sensors available that already have the internal amplification needed to be more useful for arduino projects.
If a simple to use barometric sensor is desired here is one that uses digital interfacing and would be easier to use with an arduino by using the SPI library.

Lefty

Thank you Lefty,

i want to try with the Wheatstone bridge. I'm following the notation from wikipedia : Wheatstone bridge - Wikipedia
In this page there is the formula to calculate the voltage (Vg) that depends on Vsupply and the 4 resistor values. Following the schematics, Vg is the voltage between pin 2 (+out 2) and pin 5 (-out 3)....right?

The datasheet says that the sensor span is 80 mV, does it means that Vg(max) is 80 mV?

Thanks again!

zeroG:
Thank you Lefty,

i want to try with the Wheatstone bridge. I'm following the notation from wikipedia : Wheatstone bridge - Wikipedia
In this page there is the formula to calculate the voltage (Vg) that depends on Vsupply and the 4 resistor values. Following the schematics, Vg is the voltage between pin 2 (+out 2) and pin 5 (-out 3)....right?

The datasheet says that the sensor span is 80 mV, does it means that Vg(max) is 80 mV?

Thanks again!

That datasheet is hard to read as it's not in english. However a measurement span of 0 to 80millivolts is a realistic and common output range when dealing with simple bridge sensors without built in amplifications. Again you have a task ahead of you if you attempt to build the needed electronics for this kind of sensor to be useful on an arduino.

Good luck
Lefty

I soldered 5 wires to the sensor and i made a simple circuit to see the output: 52/53 mV. I'm going to make an instrumentation amplifier with a amplification coefficient of 50 or 60, depending on the resistor i have....let's see if it works!

This is perfect..
http://www.ebay.it/itm/HX711-Weighing-Sensor-Dual-Channel-24-Bit-Precision-A-D-Module-Pressure-Sensor-/161264280835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258c19a503&_uhb=1
HX711 library in github for arduino..
Bye

1 Like

Did anyone get this to work?

amtpdb1:
Did anyone get this to work?

Yes, I was able to get readings from my project. Jonte987 was correct, The MD-PS002 is a millivolt wheatstone bridge. In order to read it, you will need to use a weighing sensor amplifier. I used the following links:

HX711 Spec Sheet:

GitHub Library and Example Code:

The example code is for a weight scale and not for a pressure sensor. Both weight scales and this pressure sensor use wheatstone bridges and both send out readings in millivolts. I used the weight scale example to check my MD-PS002. I will be working on calibrating the output from grams to mPa. Beyond that I will be working on multiple vacuum pressure sensors with multiple HX711 breakout boards.

1 Like

Your attachment for Chinese to English translation is meachanical dimension of the chip, and Power IN OUT, Signal IN and OUT

Anyone know the maximum pressure of this? I know datasheet say 150kpa but its not enough for divelogger (15m maximum depth)... unfortunately diveduino project is dead and i2c sensor is expensive to play ...

srabsrab:
Anyone know the maximum pressure of this? I know datasheet say 150kpa but its not enough for divelogger (15m maximum depth)... unfortunately diveduino project is dead and i2c sensor is expensive to play ...

I have a spec sheet that has the "Overload Capacity" of the MD-PS002 is "2times" or 200Kpa. See attached pdf:

MD-PS002.pdf (108 KB)

Now I have one from ebay but seems doesn't work?

I try connect on pin 1 +IN 5V, pin 3 and 4 -IN zero(GND) and try measure mV on pin 2(+OUT) and 5(-OUT) but there is only half voltage (+-half) without any changes by change pressure. And what is very interesting - on output +OUT is minus and on output -OUT is plus .....strange

Something wrong with my circuit or this sensor is bad?

srabsrab:
Something wrong with my circuit or this sensor is bad?

I had no little to no success getting the MD-PS002 to read much from a multi-meter or direct to Arduino. I did try an Op Amp LM385 and was able to get a rough reading of 10, 20, 30... wasn't enough resolution for my project. I did get the HX711 chips amplify the signal and the resolution is very fine with the 24-bit HX711. I used a breakout board with the HX711 chip and it was made for stress strain gauges. But, the HX711 can be used on wheatstone sensors like the MD-PS002.

The HX711 breakout boards are cheap on eBay:

I tryed also LM324 amplifier (have some expensive sensor MS 5407 and I mean i found something equal and very cheap for experiments), but resolution is not the problem now. If datasheet say 80mV so the difference must be about 80mV by maximum pressure not 2,5V constant without any dependence on pressure... (with 3V power is 1,5V constant ... this mean half power voltage like dividing resistance....)....

srabsrab:
If datasheet say 80mV so the difference must be about 80mV by maximum pressure not 2,5V constant without any dependence on pressure... (with 3V power is 1,5V constant ... this mean half power voltage like dividing resistance....)....

I'm also having the same problem as srabsrab had, the output + and - gives me half of the DC voltage supply (5V). I measured the voltage drop accross the resistance between IN+ and OUT+ as well as IN+ and OUT-, they gave me 0V and 2.5V.

I just wanna ask if there's anyone who tried this sensor before and I really need some help and guidance on how to operate this sensor. TQ.

I use HX711 with my PS002 vacuum sensor and have no problem. When You use HX711 You should connect HX711 E+ pin to PS002 +IN pin; E- to both -IN; A+ to +OUT; A- to -OUT. You will have 4 wires from PS002 because both -IN to connected together.

You should install HX711 library and then You can use standard HX711 sketch from examples. If You will set 64 scale in the sketch You will take vacuum pressure in pascals. Full vacuum will show You -100 000 pascals.

I was able to operate the sensor using HX711 module but I´m getting incremental values, I mean, read_average(byte n) function is returning higher and higher values after system restarts so tare(byte n) is impractical this way.

HX711 breakout board.
Onboard regulated 4.2volt excitation voltage for the bridge, instrumentation amp, and 24-bit A/D.
Well supported with code here.

Pressure sensors with buildin instrumentation amp are also temp compensated.
The HX711 setup is not.
Leo..

MD-PS002 data sheet in English:

Read about the HX711 data sheet, one of which is "Selectable 10SPS or 80SPS output data rate"
How to choose the rate?
What is the default value?