Measure Earth Resistance

I want to make a Earth resistance tester.

In this i want to make a contraption to display the current 'A' in the bigger loop (Electrodes E & A) and the voltage 'V' between the electrodes E & B. All using Arduino board.

After this i want to display the Resistance 'R' which would be R=V/A.

I can make the circuits. I even have the arduino UNO board with me.
What else will i need (shields, sensors, etc) for measuring and displaying the current & voltage.
also the program lines to calculate and display the resistance.

This would be involving high AC voltage (~500V) & currents (1000 amps).

P.S.: I am new in the arduino world to please treat me as a novice... :slight_smile:

Hi,
I strongly suggest you do some searching and reading on this subject first. There are several good information sources, such as: THIS ONE.

The diagram you showed looks like some old textbook.

There are up-to-date sources online.

Along the way you may find out why many AM broadcast stations have their antenna/ground systems located in swampy, salty areas, like the Jersey Meadows.

P.S.: I am new in the arduino world to please treat me as a novice... :slight_smile:

A novice interested in remaining alive will avoid working with voltages greater than 50V.

Okay let me put it this way..!!

I want to break up the commercially available earth resistance tester and make something up using the Arduino...

I understand the basic working of an Earth resistance tester... but i am struggling on the parts to be used along with Arduino UNO... and the programming...

Start safely with two nails, some wire and an Arduino.

ankit_nat wrote:

Gosh, I guess you'll need a rather large AC battery for that for that to be even slightly portable, or live near a power station with a big power point available for you to plug into.

Using such power, make sure you or nobody walks anywhere around or between points A and E on your diagram, least painful and imminent loss of life.

Seriously, if you are having even the slightest difficulty in understanding fundamental electronics, such as how to measure low level voltages and currents as noted in your other post, then some time learning and experimenting with basic electronic components initially would be strongly advised.

For such a project, you are actually measuring the resistivity of Earth, not resistance of Earth.

There are a number of well know equipment manufactures who have spent considerable efforts in time and money in making such product available for the service industry. Search online and you will find quite a few.

I am curious how you would use an Arduino for this project, and why ?

Paul - VK7KPA