New OSHW logo

I see the open hardware summit vote has come in with the favourite logo (see attached).

There are three issue it seems…

Kerning: the space after the two Rs should be tightened (so I’ll just do that myself)
PCB: the text won’t work on a PCB, I suggest dropping it and just using the graphic. (I haven’t tried this yet but assume it would work)
Two colours: Classic error from the days of fax machines, so fill with the outline colour or leave clear and just have the outline.

Overall is seem to be well received, does anyone plan to use it?

Rob

OpenHardware.png

Sure, if I ever do anything that it would be needed/work

The R's just look funny period...

I would use several complete gears with different colors and locked together maybe even cast the world map (2-color) onto the gears or use small gears to fill up a world map to represent world-community.

This only seems to me like a broken piece of hardware. I know it represents my skill level but I just don't want to admit. :grin:

Looking at it, the opening is in the shape of a keyhole, I may be looking too hard into it though...

But people can get used to anything. After all, a popular open-source operating system uses a goofy flightless bird as its symbol/mascot.

Yep, you can argue for years about the ideal logo, but once anything is agreed upon and used it becomes obvious and recognizable.

I know it represents my skill level

he he, I can relate to that.

Rob

PCB: the text won’t work on a PCB, I suggest dropping it and just using the graphic.

That's what I did for my EAGLE implementation.
EMSL has some larger versions for gEDA that include the text, and it looks pretty good.
Thread with a bunch of implementation pointers here:
http://www.openhardwaresummit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=421

westfw, forgive my eagle eye (no pun intended) but that EAGLE version looks a bit off. Not saying I can do any better but the opening doesn't quite look large enough and the gear teeth look a bit too square.

Perhaps people would disagree with me there.

Valalvax:
Looking at it, the opening is in the shape of a keyhole, I may be looking too hard into it though...

Nope, you're seeing a keyhole. Compare to the Open Source Initiative logo:

And see the OSI FAQ, fifth question down. :slight_smile:

that EAGLE version looks a bit off.

Yeah; Grumble Grumble artists don't provide polar-coordinate based parametric equations for their work...
It should be easily adjustable; let me know if you come up with better parameters.

Nope, you're seeing a keyhole. Compare to the Open Source Initiative logo:

Now... is there any more info on the construction of that logo?

Beyond the FAQ on OSI's website, I don't think so; there's a long history of mentions regarding the logo in the board meeting minutes, but I wasn't able to find anything that talked about what the criteria for the original logo were, or how they went about selecting it.

how they went about selecting it.

There was call for submissions, an executive narrowing of the field from 100+ entries to 10 finalists, and a popular vote.
http://www.openhardwaresummit.org/oshw-logo-v1-0/

I know about the selection of the OSHW logo (I've been following it since the final open hardware definition was announced); I think mowcius was asking about the OSI logo I posted above. :slight_smile:

Because the OSH logo is similar to the OSI logo, it was kinda a comment for westfw as he mentioned there were no equations for the OSH logo - perhaps there is some info somewhere about the geometric construction of the OSI logo (it would help with getting the keyhole spot on in calculation.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a higher resolution of the logo in jpg/png/bmp? Something like 300x300 dpi at least.
In Diptrace when I reduce the silkscreen recognizability to something like 5 mil (should be nearly same as the fab), it looks pretty bad and all the edges became rounded. I have tried using other format and convert them to images, the result is pretty much the same. :frowning:

There's an SVG linked on the site.

Just convert that to a large jpg if that's what you want.

mowcius,

I did convert the SVG too. Maybe the limitation is at the Diptrace itself. When I use a better silkscreen recognizability to 1 mil, it looks good. But, it might have issues when send to fab. Thanks.

What PCB software are you using?

There was a PCB logo made too for EAGLE (/KiCAD)

I'd recommend converting to over 1000x1000 as a jpg and importing that if you want to do it that way - what res were you using before?

I'm using Diptrace. In Diptrace, you just need to place the image into the PCB, they will convert to silkscreen layer itself.
But, to get the JPG, I used this: Online SVG to PNG/JPEG/TIFF conversion
The results is pretty bad. Is there any other converter around?

I just draw this in Corel and rasterized it.

Note this is not official, but maybe close enough.