Good, Cheap Camera for Close Ups? Macro?

codlink:
All I have is an IPhone to take pics of my work. Was looking at getting a cheap camera for close ups and macro work of the PCBs I make.

Anybody got any input?

for basic macro photos, a camera phone will be a lot easier to use than a semi-pro camera with non-macro lenses. That is because the phone's tiny CMOS sensor will focus better on a near object.

The problem, however, is lighting: you need really good lighting to get good shots.

I don't have an iPhone (I am an Android fan), but my Galaxy S III's camera has a "Macro" focus setting, that allows me to take very good macro photos, specially considering the effort required (turn lamp on, adjust settings, point, focus, click).

For my Galaxy S III, I don't use it's built-in flash for macro photos. Good ambient light is way better.

the image below was taken with my Galaxy S III in the macro mode. It is a shield I am building that will host a L293D motor controller and a LM317T voltage regulator with an on-board digital voltmeter.

Considering it was taken with my cellphone, and zero investment was made in lenses or expensive lighting, I consider this an excellent result.