Beginner Help

I'm very new to all this, and know very little about a lot of this stuff. I'll tell you what I'm trying to do. I am not familiar with the specs on each board enough to know exactly what they're capable of. What I'm trying to do is wire a 5 meter addressable LED strip to the board, and be able to program it to do different patterns/designs, but also need to be able to wire it up to a 12v electrical system.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm learning as I go. If it where possible for me to post the video of the project I'm looking to do I would, but it's on Facebook. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the ignorance ahead of time!

Please read the how to use the forum sticky post. That will tell you how to ask a question.
We need to know:-
What LED strip - link please
What arduino type do you have?
What external power supply do you have? What voltage and current rating has it?

It can indeed be difficult if you're beginning and it's not a stupid question.

It is, on the other hand, also difficult to answer your question since a lot of different addressable led strips exist.
A similar question would be "I need a tyre", which raises the question "which model car do you drive ?".

If you're using the same materials as the facebook page you mention and tell which page it is, it probably is easier to find/get an answer.

Here are a couple of similar projects i know about (i thought myself of doing a Light Wand for my Light Paintings) that might help you on your project:

Neopixel-Painter: Overview | NeoPixel Painter | Adafruit Learning System
Digital Light Wand: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Digital-Light-Wand/
RGB LED Strip: Overview | RGB LED Strips | Adafruit Learning System

...but, as the others also said, if you give us more detailled info about your project we will then be in a better position to help you with your project.

Good luck!
=)