Arduino in OS X 10.9 Mavericks - Serial Port Issues

Thanks for the fix.

This appears to work for my MEGA2560, a couple of Uno Rev3 but still does not recognize any of my Nano Version 3 Arduinos.

I am very new at this. I was given a Uno, and in the process of testing the LEDs I saw the message "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding". I read the 'Arduino in OS X 10.9 Mavericks - Serial Port Issues' topic in the forums about the problems with Mavericks, and began to follow the instructions. I used Terminal to sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled.

I downloaded the Mac_OS_X Installtion Guide.pdf and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_3.mpkg and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.mpkg from FTDI, but could not open or install them because "it is from an unidentified developer".

I would very much appreciate advice on what to do now. I don't know Unix well enough to undo what I did without some help.

I also saw the later posts about counterfeit chips.

Frondelicious:
I downloaded the Mac_OS_X Installtion Guide.pdf and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_3.mpkg and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.mpkg from FTDI, but could not open or install them because "it is from an unidentified developer".

I would very much appreciate advice on what to do now. I don't know Unix well enough to undo what I did without some help.

I also saw the later posts about counterfeit chips.

Hold down the CTRL key (or right click on the mpkg) and select OPEN from the popup, then select OPEN that will bypass the gate keeper...:slight_smile:

Mel

Thanks for the reply, Mel. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I have not been able to upload anything, so far, not even any of the simple examples.

There are also some issues with the LEDs on the Cube. For example, using the Serial Monitor, the 'all red;' command turns all the LEDs off, but the 'all green;' and 'all blue;' work. And sometimes level 1 works and sometimes it has the wrong colour. I had another look at it, and I believe the red is not working at all on level 1. I expect I should look elsewhere in the Forums for these answers.

HI and please help
I performed everything according to the instructions and unfortunately still not working. Does anyone might have some idea what to do. I have only OSX at home and I would like to start learning the Arduino. :frowning:
thanks you in advance for your help

worked for me!
you saved my day :slight_smile:

I had the same problem with a Sparkfun Redboard
I applied the solution described in this post and it works fine now
Thanks !

Adam, thanks for the clear explanation, but sadly it didn't work for me :confused:
Maybe I've been tinkering too much with all kinds of settings and drivers.

This procedure fixed my problem on Mac OS X 10.9.1 with Arduino 1.0.5 and an OSEPP Uno R3 Plus

I was brand new to Arduino and was of course very disappointed when I could not get the simple Blink sketch to load.

I searched for quite a while before coming across this post and even then it was with the aid of a colleague

Since this is going to be a problem for anyone with a recent Mac OS it would have been nicer if there was a more prominent way of alerting Mac users.

Are Apple aware of the driver issue? Is it an actual problem with the Apple driver or a problem with the way Arduino 1.0.5 is trying to access the driver? I don't really like regressing the driver so it would be nice to know that someone, somewhere is working on a permanent fix for this... Do we need to post somewhere else to get Arduino development to take a closer look?

This is the sort of problem that one associates with Windows rather than the Mac!

Hi Adam,

Thank you! This worked for me too. However, I still struggled at first for a few hours due to a bad USB cable. I saw a similar post as well. So for anyone that this doesn't work, please make sure to try it with another USB cable before giving up.

This fix appears to have solved the problem for me, thanks a lot! Are mac going to generate a built in solution with an os update? A lot of people using arduino also use macs...
A solution is required asap - please. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/23717843#23717843

msaglam:
However, I still struggled at first for a few hours due to a bad USB cable. I saw a similar post as well. So for anyone that this doesn't work, please make sure to try it with another USB cable before giving up.

Hi all,

I just want to back this post! A different cable made my day! Even though the first cable was new (it came with the Nano clone), a much longer old cable made the device available.

Cheers, Thorsten

i did everything listed
Solution (as partially provided by the website above)
Type the following commands into the terminal:

• cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns*
  • sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled*
  • sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions*
    Restart your computer
    Install the original FTDI Virtual Com Port drivers found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    Start Arduino and program as you always have.
    but it does not work, I still get the same problem compiling. Am I installing the right driver? When I visit the link above I couldn't find a 10.9 version in http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I have both the D2XX and VCP Drivers installed, I have tried them individually installed at a time and it didnt work too.

Same problem, fix with original drivers worked perfectly. REBOOT required.

Adam.S:
I was having problems writing to my Arduino Mega (1280) with Arduino 1.0.5 on a clean install of OSX 10.9 Mavericks.
Start Arduino and program as you always have.

Well it worked for me too, even with my old Arduino board based on a ATMEGA8 chip (2006).
Thanks and congrats for your post.

I thought I would report on how these great tips didn't work for me and the solution that did.
I have a multiwii se v2.5 board (crius copy) with ftdi interface.
On my Mac, I reloaded the latest ftdi drivers (as described) and rebooted the mac.
I plug in the multiwii se board through the ftdi interface.
I open arduino.
All I kept getting was a list of bluetooth ports but no USB ports.
I then thought a little laterally and checked the actual chipset on the ftdi interface.
I was so obsessed with using the FTDI driver, I never considered that the usb/serial module might have been made by some one else. It uses a Prolific 2305 chip. I hopped over to

downloaded the correct driver and IT WORKS!!!!!
So, for any mac people using this board and having difficulties getting a com port to show up on their mac under 10.9, , use this driver, NOT the FTDI driver mentioned above. See if that helps you too.

I had the same issue with my 3D printer that runs off a Mega 2560. Removing the Mavericks drivers and reinstalling the FTDI drivers worked a treat.

Just make sure to use the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7 package inside the disk image.

This fix sorted it out for me. Very happy - thanks a lot, saved me a lot of pain.... :smiley:

as of today the frustration continue as i am not able to access my arduino, all the posted suggestions to the problem i have tried but no luck :0 is this part of open source pains? i just fro not know what else i can try

hi folks
Struggled with this for a bit - tried installing the FTDI drivers, as suggested, but no go. I've an UNO R2, and according to the Arduino specs,
The Uno differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the Atmega16U2 (Atmega8U2 up to version R2) programmed as a USB-to-serial converter.

So.. I had recently added a USB3 hub.. once I moved the usb from the hub to the mac, voila. I see the Uno serial port again!

cheers
Steve

Fixed my issues on OS X 10.9.3 with a Sparkfun Red Board. Thanks!