Arduino 1.5.8 on OSX 10.10 Yosemite: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I'm trying to use the Arduino IDE on OSX 10.10.

Java 8 is the recommended version for Yosemite. I found an experimental Arduino 1.5.8 version for Java 7, but not for Java 8. It actually runs, but I have difficulties uploading sketches. I don't think it's Java related:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I found some posts about similar issues on OSX 10.9. I installed the FTDI driver. The RX led of my Diecimila blinks occasionally, but that's it. I have also tested several other boards and different USB cables.

Any ideas? Do I have to install Java 6?

For future reference:

Arduino 1.5.8 for Java 7 (experimental) seems to work with Oracle's Java 8. The JRE is highly backwards compatible. Regarding the avrdude errors: Don't forget to choose the correct board AND the correct processor before uploading your sketches (duh…).

If you want to use Arduino 1.5.8 or 1.0.6 for Java 6, you may want to install Apple's Java . To uninstall it just remove /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

I got exactly the same problem. Is my arduino to old? Or is it the wrong drivers ?

Idsduino:
I got exactly the same problem. Is my arduino to old? Or is it the wrong drivers ?

I have two working ATMEGA168 Diecimilas (2009) and an old v2.2 Seeduino (2010) here, so I don't think the age of your arduino is the issue.

If you are using the 1.5.8 IDE be sure to select the correct port, the correct board AND the correct processor.

thanks arminbw

It was a combination of selection the right arduino board (i have freeduno) and holding the reset long enough.
In love with my arduino again !!!
running BS18D20 sensor now