Anyone purchased from ElectroDragon.com

Looking to purchase Arduino UNO, LCD shield, and LCD. The prices look great but, are they to good to be true! Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave H.

hello

electrodragon sells counterfeit arduino products.

Thanks for bringing them to our attention. we'll deal with them.

m

is electrodragon.com a legit site in general? (Not talking about their Arduino products) They seem to have some good prices on sensors. Has anyone bought from them before?

Thanks,

Toozinger

Hello!
The store is quite good. They ship from Germany so for Russia it is quite quick.
The items are good quality, and they provide documentation for midules, sensors, etc. Also their wiki is helpful.
Quick enougth support team, and they describe their items with all its cons and pros.
I've bought a logic analyzer and lot of other modules for 100$ and only one usb jack was defective.

Be aware that Electrodragon only sell counterfeit versions of all branded products. Their general noname components are fine though and the company feels quite reliable. I have purchased goods from them several times.

I've reported their "Arduino" boards to the Arduino staff before and all that happened was that Electrodragon renamed them to EDArduino on their web page. I haven't purchased any boards from them but I'm fairly certain that they're just regular counterfeit clones and that they all carry the Arduino logotype and are branded as Arduino in reality. Don't buy them.

How can an opensource project that sells an item and has another company selling an Arduino type product be illegitimate or counterfeit?

If they are selling an illegitimate product in the eyes of Arduino's product producers, then that means that Arduino's are not opensource.

MarkG:
How can an opensource project that sells an item and has another company selling an Arduino type product be illegitimate or counterfeit?

Just because you release product as open source it doesn't mean that anyone can use your brand name and your logo and sell them as products manufactured by You.
The boards we are talking about are carrying the Arduino logo and says "Made in Italy" and everything but they are made in China by someone else. The boards claim to be genuine Arduino boards which they aren't.

Ok, that's fair enough, so it begs the question on why these boards that are from elsewhere are not simply labeled up as Arduino compatible? And why doesn't Arduino allow the use of the name for that purpose?

MarkG:
Ok, that's fair enough, so it begs the question on why these boards that are from elsewhere are not simply labelled up as Arduino compatible?

Because, of course, they are being traded fraudulently. They are advertising that they are the quality-checked product manufactured under the Arduino control and whose sale supports Arduino development, which they simply are not at all.

MarkG:
And why doesn't Arduino allow the use of the name for that purpose?

It's called a trademark®. It distinguishes the genuine product from those who are not necessarily (and probably not) manufactured to the same quality standards and in neither past nor present contribute to the development.

Were Arduino to suffer others to use its trademark, its reputation for reliability would be impaired as a result of people's experience with the inferior products, to say nothing of its financial viability as a project.

perhof:
The boards we are talking about are carrying the Arduino logo and says "Made in Italy" and everything but they are made in China by someone else. The boards claim to be genuine Arduino boards which they aren't.

On their webpage it shows clear it's make in china, I think people would know it before buy, don't make it sounds like they are trying to hide something.

2014-04-20_161110.jpg

tudoutou:
On their webpage it shows clear it's make in china, I think people would know it before buy, don't make it sounds like they are trying to hide something.

That's right. They (you?) changed the webpage a while ago so that it admits that the boards are not genuine Arduino boards.
The boards still carry the official Arduino logo though and the boards still say "Made in Italy" so the boards are still counterfeit.