Need a list of changes as they are implemented

Over the past few days a number of issues that we have complained about have been fixed - which is great.

For example, first the Code Box had no limit, then it was small and could not be extended and now AFAIK it can be extended. (EDIT to add - not yet, it can't - 06 Nov 2014)

It is important that the Arduino Team should publish details of these changes as they are made. If not the details of them will all be forgotten the next time an upgrade is needed.

There is also a need to publish the exact specifications of a change - for example (with made-up numbers) the Code Box default max size is 9 lines and it can be extended to 100 lines.

The reason for publishing these details is that they give users a chance to spot silly things that the team may not be conscious of.

If it is more practical for the team to manage this list in Github that is fine with me. I just want a system where the changes are publicly recorded as they are made. And I do appreciate that there will be security changes which should not be made public.

...R

and now AFAIK it can be extended.

Not here using Windows 7 and Chrome

Robin2:
For example, first the Code Box had no limit, then it was small and could not be extended and now AFAIK it can be extended.

Not in Australia it can't be.

Humble apologies for the confusion folks.
I've just realized I was playing with a very small code box - which can be extended to the 9-line max.

I hope this doesn't detract from the principal message of this Thread.

...R

The size of the code box is STILL BROKEN - #37 by UKHeliBob - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum May be of interest

UKHeliBob:
The size of the code box is STILL BROKEN - #37 by UKHeliBob - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum May be of interest

Not sure what that has to do with keeping a public record of the changes that are implemented ?

...R

Not sure what that has to do with keeping a public record of the changes that are implemented ?

Nothing, but it has everything to do with the ability to change the size of the code box. My fault for not quoting reply #2

Robin2:
It is important that the Arduino Team should publish details of these changes as they are made. If not the details of them will all be forgotten the next time an upgrade is needed.

This should be happening on the GitHub issues list (however as we noticed in this thread that does not always happen).

Hi, I am finding the number of new forum members who do not know about the code tags a pain in the a???, along with small font.

Hows about making the code tags icon BIGGER and DARKER in color and WRITE IN IT CODE TAG, the same for all the other icons.

Even I have trouble finding it and I know about it, sorry guys but EVERYTHING has been made smaller, instead of READABLE,.
We don't have 100cm computer monitors.
Please, the guys that are developing the forum code, go back to basics, use a 14inch laptop with NO BELLS and whistles and make it work.
[soapbox]
As I said, make everything readable and usable.
Mobile phones originally started to get smaller and smaller, they are now bigger then ever, do you wonder why, I understand you can't read what somebody has said about you on facebok or twister on and old phone.
[/soapbox]

Tom........ :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi, I am finding the number of new forum members who do not know about the code tags a pain in the a???, along with small font.

I agree with you. But what has that got to do with this Thread?

Why not start a new FEATURE REQUEST thread?

...R

Hi, there are too many threads already about forum programming , this is a series of problems that should have a direct address to the programmers, just like Report to Moderator, just that they have enough to do, another thread and another thread for each problem found would not be fruitful.

Tom...... :slight_smile:

I agree with you too but I don't agree with you tacking your request for a one specific improvement onto a thread that is dealing with how bugs etc are reported and tracked.

Your well founded request is more likely to be missed by those who are more interested in changes rather than in a list of changes.

Don

I emailed Luca Cipriani (who is mastrolinux on this forum) who responded that he preferred suggestions on the GitHub site (presumably make a new "issue" per suggestion): Issues · arduino/forum-assets · GitHub

Failing that, if you prefer to use this forum, make a thread per suggestion, with "SUGGESTION:" in the title to make it stand out.

[quote author=Nick Gammon date=1415416971 link=msg=1952891]
I emailed Luca Cipriani (who is mastrolinux on this forum) who responded that he preferred suggestions on the GitHub site (presumably make a new "issue" per suggestion): Issues · arduino/forum-assets · GitHub

Failing that, if you prefer to use this forum, make a thread per suggestion, with "SUGGESTION:" in the title to make it stand out.[/quote]

In view of Luca's reply to me here I am surprised by the first part of your comment. I had the clear impression that what you have in your second part would be the principal way of getting suggestions considered. This is what he said, but you probably need to look at the Thread to see the context.

Robin2 I agree with you, we should have discussion here and github just for exact tasks and easy manage of issues.
I would also have discussion here for every issue.

I will repeat my objection (as stated in the other Thread) to duplication between Github and the Forum. I want to see the Github list as "read only" for regular Forum users like me.

...R

I have already made 2 suggestions with the words "FEATURE REQUEST" in the title.

Should I change that to "SUGGESTION" ? (serious question)

...R

I emailed Luca Cipriani (who is mastrolinux on this forum) who responded that he preferred suggestions on the GitHub site

So that they forum administrators don't actually have to use the forum? Hmmm.

PaulS:

Good to have you onboard regarding this issue Paul.

...R

I doubt that is necessary since they probably will not use some automated method of scanning threads.

In view of Luca's reply to me here I am surprised by the first part of your comment.

I'm just relaying what was in the email.

Here is his exact response:

I really prefer either
Making one thread per suggestion? Maybe with "SUGGESTION:" in the title of each one.

Or

Posting on GitHub?

The last one is best for me but I can understand many users are already used to the forum.

So whatever the community prefer between the two options is fine.

So he prefers "either" but "the last one is best for me".

PaulS:

Yes, however GitHub (or any bug tracking system) is a more formal place where bugs (or suggestions) are raised. They are prioritized. They are assigned to a developer. People comment on the particular bug/suggestion giving pros and cons, and suggested fixes. They are hopefully implemented (or maybe marked "won't do") and then the implementation commit is documented.

It would be harder to glance at a forum thread and detect priorities, or who has been assigned to something, or whether it has already been completed or not. Much easier for things to slip through the cracks in the forum.

Hi, a 'report to forum programmer' like the "report to moderator' would be simple, the prioritization still has to be done by a human being.
I had to log onto gethub (sic) to leave a message about a problem with another forum?????????????
What ever reporting system is implemented it will always come down to a human sorting it out.
So KISS.......

Tom...... :slight_smile: