Moving Posts - request to Moderators

It used to be the case that when a post was moved the Forum software left a "breadcrumb" so that the Poster returning to where s/he had originally posted would see a link to the new location.

That no longer happens and I think it is a cause for confusion for newbies. This Post seems like a good example. Yesterday I suggested that it be moved to its own Thread and it was. I suspect the OP thought his post had been deleted or just got lost so he re-posted in the same (incorrect) place.

I realize it would represent some extra work for Moderators but would it be possible to leave a message so that the Poster would at least know what has happened. Ideally there would be a link to the new location. However even a boiler plate message telling the person to search their own list of Posts to find it would help.

Moderator @surbyte does leave a reference when s/he moves a post but I can't find an example right now.

Just my 5 cents.

...R

Agreement here.

Now the OP can always lookup their posts to see where it went.

Different topic:
I have bit of an issue when a post I make is deleted and don’t get feedback why.
However, I can easily defer to the moderator’s better judgment.
Just grumpy today I guess. :frowning:

I agree too.

Robin2:
Moderator @surbyte does leave a reference when s/he moves a post but I can't find an example right now.

@surbyte must be unchecking "post a redirection topic". The default is checked. Without it the breadcrumb is present on the post list. With it the breadcrumb is only present on the topic list. That's an unpleasant bug.

I try to leave the one week notification where possible.
Reason is that people don't always get back quickly but I figure a week is long enough.

Just wish i could work out the MERGE thing.

Bob.

One week would be fine, but I'm not clear what you mean by the "one week notification"

...R

We have the opportunity to pick from a list how long a redirect stays active.

ballscrewbob:
We have the opportunity to pick from a list how lone a redirect stays active.

Sorry, I have not been clear enough.

What I don't know is where a redirect message appears, or what it looks like. I can't recall seeing anything that matches that description.

...R

Robin2:
What I don't know is where a redirect message appears, or what it looks like.

Example add to Website and Forum section.

If you mean this

then that is exactly what I would like to see as the standard behaviour. I think it would be especially helpful for newbies.

Many thanks.

...R

This works around the bug...

I see the "MOVED:" 'posts' in Alerts, but not on boards pages