Is there any official release date for the Arduino Zero?

bobricius:
Hi, I tested now arduino ide 1.5.8.3 and confirm that is possible upload code to samd21xplained board via edbg on native port no activity, no enumeration.

That is the version of 1.5.8.3 from arduino.org, not arduino.cc presumably. And so it begins...

I see Adafruit has now raised the price to $55, and their site says they're out of stock.

Not sure what that means, if anything?

It means that is what people in the U.S. are willing to pay for the Zero. It's the same price as a Beaglebone Black, so I question the "bang for the buck" concerning this latest board. I wonder where the DAC port is on the board, it wasn't silkscreened according to the pictures on her website. I suppose it's to the left of the IOREF port?

I'm betting it's out of stock because so many people know about .org .cc conflict and want a slice of the action.

So... has anyone actually received a Zero?

Limor & Phil showed one on video. They talked about Zero while very carefully & awkwardly avoiding saying anything about the conflict. Phil starts out saying "Well, this is going to cause some problems..." at 37:59 and Limor says "we had the order booked already, so it's what it is".

legonick22:
Arduino Zero Pro now available at Adafruit!
See for yourself!
$50

$55 for a Cortex-M0? That's insane!

For $13, try new LaunchPad MSP432 with a 48 MHz Cortex-M4F, 256 KB of Flash and 64 KB of RAM running on the same Wiring / Arduino framework plus RTOS capabilities!

What precisely does "running on the same Wiring / Arduino framework" really mean?

avenue33:
$55 for a Cortex-M0? That's insane!

For $13, try new LaunchPad MSP432 with a 48 MHz Cortex-M4F, 256 KB of Flash and 64 KB of RAM running on the same Wiring / Arduino framework plus RTOS capabilities!

try compare comunity, libraries, examples for msp430, stm32, nxp, atmel

Do not shuffle.
The libraries are mostly written by the community of volunteers, They cost nothing to the board manufacturer.
They do not have to be used to establish the price of the board.

The price of the board is a market price : The sellers have estimated the max price the customer accepts to pay. This price has nothing to do with the actual price.

Mbed forum has now two sub-fora : Japaneese and Spain. It is important to note it.

Looks like Federico Musto has posted his side of the story.

I'm curious what everyone who's been waiting to hear the other side thinks?

My Zero Pro arrived today (Monday), ordered from CPC Farnell on Friday... before I was aware of the Arduino camp split!

cpc.farnell.com/arduino/a000104/arduino-zero-pro-eval-board/dp/SC13792

It has the grey headers, and Arduino.org info on back.

Now I just have to work out the best path to use it - go back from 1.6.2 to 1.5.8 or try to use it in Atmel Studio 6.2 ???

he is talking about energia --> http://www.ti.com/tool/energia#descriptionArea

I didn't read ANY side of a story in that link. What are you referring to?
I read a very clear side from CC though

I'll be releasing a version of the Zero soon myself if you don't want to throw money at the .ORG guy:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabidprototypes/neutrino-the-tiny-32-bit-arduino-zero-compatible

It's not a full size Zero, but rather a small board like the Mini/Micro/Nano with all the unnecessary bits stripped away to get the price down to where it's reasonable.

I like the form factor, that of the UNO / Zero is unusable for a final product.

But I do not understand why continue with Atmel, micro STM32 are much more suited to our use and cheaper.
Few examples :

• 90% of inputs are 5V tolerant, 0% with Atmel.
  • Outputs can deliver a much higher current
  • Output can have 3 different pass band. It is very useful to limit the time rise or time fall of a signal in case of long wiring.

Why do you need 5V tolerant inputs?

Why do you need high current?

5 V tolerant:
It is obvious that we are in a transition phase between 5 Vlogic and 3.3 V logic.
It is obvious that we have to connect 5 V IC to other 3.3 V IC
It is obvious that we begin to enter a new phase where the circuits are supplied with 2.5 V.
For me it is obvious that circuits must at least accept two Vcc voltage .

Higher current.
I do not know how you work, but personally as a former analog electronics developer I have no difficulty to build my own "shield",
For me the first criterion is price : sometimes due to large volume effect it is better to buy ready made, sometimes not.

Common shields are designed for beginners so they incorporates all power interface and often there is no current problem. In those I do, I put the power interface only if necessary.
Another point I refuse to work with the limits of the product so a micro that can be supplied only 6 or 8 mA does not suit me.

I protest against the 40 mA per output announced on Arduino's site.
These are Absolute Maximum Rating.

Atmel Normal conditions :
For Atmel there is four conditions to simultaneously satisfy:
no more than 20 mA by outputs
and no more than 150 mA per port in Source mode
and no more than 100 mA per port in Sink mode
and no more than 200 mA on Vcc and Gnd

Bandpass:
Have à look on the datasheet of the DUE micro. Atmel says for reducing the ringing, designer have to add a 38 ohms serial resistor and PCB track must be 50 ohms matched.
Also read application note : AN02 Atmel AT91-AT91 signal integrity product.

On the DUE board are the lines matched ?
Not obviously it is not possible to adapt 50 tracks to Zc = 50 ohms without use a 4 layers PCB.
Width of a 50 ohms matched line with 2 layers PCB is 3 mm and only 0.5 mm with a "classic" 4 layers PCB.

Consequently, with Atmel SAM IC, there will be excess ringing. The ringing amplitude will depend on the how the wiring is realized.

I prefer the ST solution which offer solution of increasing rise time and fall time of the signal which solve ringing.

I am not alone to be interesting by STM32
There is two threads in this forum :
STM32, Maple and Maple mini port to IDE 1.5.x
Reply 2599, vues 65 101
STM32 "for the rest of us"
Reply 54 vues 1 501

I just heard that The new board comes with 256KB of Flash memory, and 32KB of SRAM. In comparison the 8-bit Leonardo which uses the Atmel ATmega32u4 comes with just 32KB of Flash memory and 2.5KB of SRAM.

Bikram Singh majithia | Reclaim rubber

On the webpage Talking Arduino Zero with Atmel - Make: it states:

"...- the first batch should ship on June 9th".