Strange Brushless ESC / Arduino issue - some ESCs work and some do not.

Hi,

I have done a lot of Googling and but couldn't get solution of my strange problem.
After going thru forums and some hit-n-trial, I managed to put together the following code. The code works perfectly fine on one of my brushless ESCs but doesn't on other two.

I have checked, all of the ESCs are in working order. Here is the stat after several tweakings of "delay" function timing and "arming" timing.
ESC 1 (Dualsky 25Amp) = Works perfect
ESC 2 (Freewing 30Amp) = Doesn't even arm
ESC 3 (unbranded) = Arms after setting the "delay" in arm() to 2000 (I can hear 3 beeps for 3S battery) but stays quiet afterwards.

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo;
unsigned long lastPulse;

void arm(){
 setSpeed(0);
 delay (1000);
}

void setSpeed(int speed){
 int angle = map(speed, 0, 100, 0, 180);
 myservo.write(angle);    
}

void setup()
{
 myservo.attach(5);
 arm();  

setSpeed(0);
delay(750);
setSpeed(5);
delay(750);
setSpeed(10);

lastPulse = millis();

}

void loop()
{   
   if (millis() - lastPulse >= 750)
   {
      setSpeed(15);  
     lastPulse = millis();
   }
}

I am not expert but you shouldn't arm ESC with 0. I had the same problem.. So what you need to do:

1: Remove ESC

2: Disconnect motor (important)

3: Turn transmitter on

4: Turn ESC switch on

5: Adjust the "neutral" trimpot until the LED goes out.

6: Pull Trigger to full throttle, and adjust the "proportion" trimpot until the LED just turns to maximum brightness. LED should turn red when you push the trigger. (reverse)

7: Re-install ESC, Re-connect motor and have fun.

And when you will arm the ESC with arduino it should be like this:
myservo.write(90); //position 90 degrees
delay(1000);
myservo.write(30); //position 30 degrees
delay(1000);

Hope it helps!

it maybe the throttle range of the ESC.

Hi,

As sirbow2 says above, it might be the throttle range.

You often need to program an ESC when it is first used in a new model to set the max and min throttle range. If you have not done this, is it pot luck whether your ESCs will arm. From what I can see, your result so far suggest pot luck is at work.

Do you have access to an RC transmitter and receiver that you can use for the initial programming ?

Do you have the manuals for the ESCs that describe the initial programming process ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com