5 dcmotors

I was wondering how I would connect five dc motors to either a motor shield or controller then to a 2.1 barrel jack I'm only trying to control speed not direction an they'll all be at same speed

Unless they're very small motors you wouldn't connect 5 of them to one 2.1mm barrel jack. Way too much current...probably. Details are important.

To control motor speed only you may only need a MOSFET or five rather than a motor shield.

Steve

How small? Specifically I'm trying to hook up five small motors together to the same power supply an speed dial how would I make my own pcb to hold the 5 dc motors

I'm trying to do something like this I guess I'm sorry I can't be very specific as I really don't have experience I'm just trying to understand but all I'm trying to do is have five dc motors all connected to the wall via power cord that I could control the speed of do they make certain pcb boards for this or what is the minimum amount of parts I could buy an put on a pcb board myself to make this work

If you don't know what motors you want to use how on earth do you expect anyone to know how you can control them?

You might as well ask "How long a piece of string do I need?"

Steve

I'm trying to use 12v dc motors or lower?

I'm trying to use 12v dc motors or lower?

So now it's "how long is my short piece of string?" You really can't choose a motor driver until you know the rated voltage and stall current of the motor. If the stall current is not specified, you can estimate the stall current. Measure the winding resistance. Divide the motor supply voltage by the winding resistance to get estimated stall current. The driver needs to be able to handle at least the stall current.

Should I come back with picture of specific brand an type of dc motor I'm sorry but I don't know anything about electronics but I'm trying to get into the hobby considering I was born into a time of technology

No, you should come back with a specification of the specific brand/type of motor you want to use. Anyone who is selling such things will usually provide information so that you know what you are buying and it's that information that is needed.

Or perhaps better, you could say what these 5 motors are going to be used for. What exactly will they be driving, running, turning, whatever? How big is it, how heavy, how fast, that sort of thing. If we knew that perhaps we might suggest some possibly suitable motors...and then we could also explain how to power and control them.

Steve

I am trying to put 5 small brushless dc motors inside a waterproof tube that create a line of current to produce waves I only need to have three settings low ,medium,and high an the I need to connect them to some type of power cord and I was thinking a barrel jack would work.I know how to do everything else except how do I connect the motors to a small controller for speed only an then connect it to the wall because I've looked everywhere an it'll show you how to make each part and how to connect to motors but none on controller more in a sub compact system an I know there's four motors in drones.also which type of motor would be capable of moving water I chose five smaller ones to cover a foot of water because I don't know how strong they'd be but I was also thinking if it would be easier to put two bigger ones back to back with some type of wheel paddle sticking out horizontally thank you

One immediately useful thing there...you want BRUSHLESS motors. That's important because these need to be driven completely differently from standard brushed DC motors. Basically they need ESCs (Electronic Speed Controllers) and they usually need one ESC per motor (a quad drone will have 4 ESCs).

Other than that I still don't understand what you're looking for. Perhaps a picture of what you're making and some idea of how much water you expect to move and how fast? All I know is motors used in boats with screws/propellers but presumably that's not what you're talking about?

Steve