Arduino Packaging Strategy is Wasting Paper Products

modeller:

retrolefty:

How do you think are they different from the Arduino circuit board?

Because they were designed to be used by artist and creative people and not dull stuffy engineers. :wink:

So ... they aren't different from the Arduino.

Actually the arduino micros on board all have clamping protection diodes on their I/O pins to protect from all but the most dramatic of ESD sources. I worked in digital field service for decades starting in the late 60s before ESD packaging was even invented and never had a problem handling PCB without such protection. It wasn't until later with the use of early CMOS logic chips where ESD damage became a bigger issue. Later it became more standard for CMOS manufactures to install internal clamping diode protection on their device pins to help deal with ESD vulnerability. The use of wrist straps and conductive bags is mostly over kill for completed boards, but people will always fall back on 'think of the children' we must all use grounded wrist straps and such.

So it is your avowed position that ESD protective bags are not required for shipment of completed electronic boards, and if I quote you expert sources that say you're mistaken, that you will just tell us that you are the trusted expert on this subject and that the experts in the industry that have devoted research and engineering to this issue are all wrong.

Do have that about right Lefty?

Yep, feel free to quote me.

Lefty