Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When?

If the Due never comes out, things "Arduino" will still continue on IMHO. The Due is simply a addition to an already successful product, it is not a fix or update to something that needs improvement. If it does arrive we will be able to add more sophisticated projects to the Arduino ability list which would be great!

Apparently a big announcement is coming "after Easter" according to the Arduino team on twitter. "After Easter" can mean anytime between now and October. Let's face it, Arduino's track record for meeting commitments is spotty at best. Why October? Because their evil business partner, RadioShack, will probably want the "Due" on their shelves in time for Christmas shoppers.

My Christmas wish... aside from the "Due" release, I'd like to see Python for an advanced Arduino board. Advanced how? The natural progression beyond 8-bit was the 16-bit XMega chips, and now very soon 32-bit. Seems like the natural progression after 32-bit are microcomputers like the overly hyped R-Pi. Beaglebone is sort of there but its too expensive and its main programming language is Java. I suspect Arduino will eventually join that market too.

Apparently a big announcement is coming "after Easter" according to the Arduino team on twitter.

Yes I saw that, I for one am very interested to see what they are releasing. I was going to buy an EV kit to get a head start learning the architecture but they won't tell us which processor :frowning:

Rob

I'm sorry "after Easter" only states a no sooner then date, how long is the outlying possiblity? That could mean any time before Easter 2013 is my mind. :wink:

Lefty

You cynic you :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:

I find realism is quite often mistaken for cynicism. :wink:

jraskell:

Graynomad:

I find realism is quite often mistaken for cynicism. :wink:

I fully agree

I was in Cyprus last week.
There Easter started on Sunday and goes on for 5 days (not sure this is inclusive or exclusive sunday).
So today (or tomorrow) we are the first day "after Easter" 8)
Anyone knows a later Easter in 2012?
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
low level language as C++

Now that's a surprise :smiley:

On topic - I see no much incommon between Arduino and R-Pi. Having IO pins doesn't make it a controller. I guess optimal solution would be having both boards at once, communicating and minding each it's own business. I wonder how soon a communication shield will appear for Arduino-RPi (to stack them together, not utilizing USB). Same goes for Due. I don't believe a computer can replace controller or vice-verso. It's like screwing nails and hammering screws.

Edit: said that, I'm just an artist :slight_smile:

I'm just an artist

You might be but you are quite right.
The raspberry pi expansion board is in fact very similar to an arduino complete with AVR processor.

It seems to me that this whole debate is about which viewpoint you have.
Fx. I see the RPI as a new Ethernet/Video Shield, while a RPI freak will see Arduino as a new RPI shield (they only have their Gert Board)

Kivig

kivig:

Jantje:
low level language as C++

Now that's a surprise :smiley:

According to wikipedia C++ - Wikipedia

It is regarded as an intermediate-level language, as it comprises a combination of both high-level and low-level language features.

In the arduino context I say it is a lowlevel language as most of the high level features are not really usable.

Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
In the arduino context I say it is a lowlevel language as most of the high level features are not really usable.

I somehow thought of convenience of compiler interpretation as high level... at least my brother debugging instructions in hex at that moment giggled :slight_smile:

OK, not January...

April 2012.

I would really like just one thing: Where can Ordinary Mortals actually order and pay for a Due??, so, we are at least in line with the rest of the Planet??

I was at least able to get in the queue for my RaspberryPi and now I have been told that I'll actually get it.. That feels a lot more like I have some connection to the process.

If you want an Arduino with the performance of the Due now, just buy a Uno32:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?NavPath=2,892&Cat=18

You can then buy a Due if and when it goes into production, and all your code should run on it.

You can't say that because you don't know what the performance of the Due will be. The processor decision has not been announced.

Grumpy_Mike:

You can't say that because you don't know what the performance of the Due will be. The processor decision has not been announced.

Exactly 8)
You don't even know which software and hardware incompatibilities there will be between 1.0 and the due. :grin:
Unless you are part of the team working on the due; in which case we would appreciate some information ]:smiley:

Greeting from Belgium
Jantje

All the latest Atmel Cortex-M3 parts have about the same performance, AFAIK.

The PIC32 used on the Uno32 has about the same performance as the Atmel Cortex-M3 that will be used on the Due. The PIC32 only runs at 80 MHz, but it has a five-stage pipeline, whereas the M3 only has a three-stage pipeline. I just can't see there being much difference in performance between the Due, if it ever goes into production, and the Uno32.

A few people have actually got prototype Due boards. Perhaps someone with one of those will provide some timings so that the two can be compared.

A recent tweet from the Arduino team

the processor is a SAM3/X from ATMEL

Hopefully this snippet of information means the release is close.

Rob

The SAM3X offers high-speed USB and Ethernet, which would make the Due better than the Uno32 in some ways. I'd guess that they are using the SAM3X4C:

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be some time before they are available. I'd say it will be six months, at least, knowing Atmel's habit of announcing new devices long before they actually have working silicon. None of the SAM3X family is available, in fact.

At 84 MHz, the SAM3X will actually be slower than the PIC32 used on the Uno32.

Neither the 4C or 8E are showing as in stock at any of the usual distributors.

Why do you think they would use the 4C? it has less memory and no EBI, it is however 100 pins.

Rob