Help me choose the right motor.

There is so many different motor to choose from and I'm unsure which one will be best for my project. Bldc, bldc with encoder, stepper motor, servo motor etc...

I want to push a button and position the motor from 0 degrees to 90 or 180 or 270 and stop at 360 degrees.
Push another button and make it go reverse from 360 degrees to 270/180/90 and stop at 0.

Also make the motor to spin continuously with potentiometers as speed control.
Push button to make it spin continuously reverse.

Can some one tell me what motor will be useful for my project.

I presume you want the motor to move something. What?

Giving us a good overview of your project will enable us to give much better advice.

...R

In addition to the above question, how quickly do you want the motor to spin, or move from one position to another?

Robin2:
I presume you want the motor to move something. What?

Giving us a good overview of your project will enable us to give much better advice.

...R

Do you happen to mean torque, something like 2-3kg.

jremington:
In addition to the above question, how quickly do you want the motor to spin, or move from one position to another?

Would be nice with something like 100-200 rpm

torque, something like 2-3kg.

Torque is measured in units for force times distance, for example, kgf-cm, Newton-meter, etc.

If the motor is to rotate something, you need to actually measure the torque required before buying a motor, then buy one that can supply maximally around twice the measured value.

jremington:
Torque is measured in units for force times distance, for example, kgf-cm, Newton-meter, etc.

If the motor is to rotate something, you need to actually measure the torque required before buying a motor, then buy one that can supply maximally around twice the measured value.

I have this motor on 2-3kg*cm and unsure how good it will work for my project, with button position and spin continuously cw/ccw with potentiometer as speed control or rather get maybe a stepper motor, servo motor etc...for this purpose

What do you mean 0/90/270/360 degrees? Absolute position as in always being able to find N/S/E/W, or just always 90deg etc from where it was at the time you give it the commands?
Maybe a continuous servo would do most of what it is you ask depending on how you eventually care to give more details on your application.

The motor you linked in reply #6 is intended to rotate more or less continuously, and the built in encoder (actually, a tachometer) is useless for absolute shaft positioning.

Please explain what you actually want to do with the motor.

INTP:
What do you mean 0/90/270/360 degrees? Absolute position as in always being able to find N/S/E/W, or just always 90deg etc from where it was at the time you give it the commands?
Maybe a continuous servo would do most of what it is you ask depending on how you eventually care to give more details on your application.

I'm trying to make, more or less a robot claw and looking for a motor that run good, small and prefer silent as possiable.
Would like the motor to work like I wrote in #1 and maybe you are right a continuous servo could do it.

Seen a good one some place.?

Can you post a picture or drawing of the claw mechanism?

The motor I would recommend for this project would be a stepper motor. These motors have high torque and amazing precision compared to other motors. They are used for 3D printers, CNC machines, and laser cutters to name a few.

You only need three things to get these types of motors working. A stepper motor (I would recommend a NEMA 17 style stepper motor), a stepper motor controller, and an Arduino. Once you having everything wired up its as easy as telling the motor how many "steps" you want it to move and in which direction. These motors scale easily as well, so get whatever size motor you need for your requirements.

wicster:
Would like the motor to work like I wrote in #1

When I ask for clarification about what you wrote in #1, don't fracking refer me back to #1. Yeesh.

I would recommend a NEMA 17 style stepper motor

Please educate yourself.

"NEMA 17" defines a linear dimension of the motor mounting plate. It tells you NOTHING ELSE about the motor. It is not a "style".

"NEMA 17" defines a linear dimension of the motor mounting plate. It tells you NOTHING ELSE about the motor. It is not a "style".

Lol you might wanna go do some researching yourself. The Nema 17 motors are the most common mounting "style" and has compatibility with most mounting hardware you will find for tinkering. Don't be a moron.

@jremington is correct.

mschindl:
Don't be a moron.

Bye bye.

@jremington, @Coding Badly and @Mschindl, I do not agree that NEMA 17 is not a style. It is a mounting style for motors and gives a rough idea of size. Please keep sarcasm out of the forum as it does not help the user in any way, nor does this kind of communication.

Back to the topic, I would recommend either stepper motors or servos. Most servos only rotate from 0-180 degrees, though continuous rotational servos do exist. Stepper motors offer more control as they can continuously rotate. If you want a claw that is only going to open and close, maybe a servo is the best.

Oh, the dirty stench of a sock puppet.

To be fair to @mschindl I think he did actually cover both the "style" and the "power" in Reply #11 when he said
I would recommend a NEMA 17 style stepper motor
and later
These motors scale easily as well, so get whatever size motor you need for your requirements.

And, trying also to be fair to the critics, s/he (@mschindl) did not IMHO write sufficiently clearly to be helpful for a newbie.

On the other hand there was no call for @mschindl to call anyone a moron

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code