Using Arduino as Intermediate between a PC and an iPad

Hi Everyone,

I have an arduino board together with wifi module. I will make it step by step explanation so everyone can understand:

1. I want to update info from PC to iPad using arduino as a center between the two devices.
  2. When I need some info from my PC, I will send command to arduino to update any info from my PC to my iPad.
  3. For example, I have an excel sheet full of info and want it on my ipad but I am nowhere near my PC.
  4. How can I possibly send command from my iPad to arduino to update info that is in my PC.
  5. I don't want to transfer files but only to update the content of the files.( Nothing to do with videos or music as I know arduino can't do that).

Another thing, arduino has TCP/IP. Can I use it to connect to my PC and update info to my ipad through wifi?

Hi

Is there any reason for the Arduino as the middle-man in this data transfer? What will it be doing with the data, if anything?

Arduino can't directy write data on either of the other devices so you'd need to have some kind of local program running on both the PC and iPad. That being the case, presuming you get that going, if the Arduino isn't going to be doing anything with the information why wouldn't you just have those two processes talk to each other directly?

If you want to take info from your iPad and synchronise it with your PC remotely, the intermediary you might want to use is some kind of server process (akin to what Dropbox does) which will allow either end to asynchronously update the other when the other becomes available.

Cheers ! Geoff

Hi,

The reason why arduino has to be the middle-man is because of a project i'm creating.
As for iPad to get info from PC through arduino is only a simulation to show that the process can be done. Can u advise me if i can program arduino so that I can send command from my iPad to arduino to take some specific info such as excel sheet from PC and update the info to my iPad. I know that we can use direct connection between PC and iPad, but this project is meant for something else as it is a simulation that can proved that the project can be done.

Thanks Mate!

Can what you're asking be done? I expect you'll be using Bluetooth or WiFi for the connection to the Arduino because iPad doesn't present a great number of physical choices. I haven't used the iOS SDK but I'm sure what you're talking about would be feasible.

Most things are possible I'm told...besides nailing jelly to a tree, skiing through a revolving door, or pushing a fresh pile of the proverbial up a hill with a pointy stick :slight_smile:
Geoff

Hi,

Ok I have a server which has plenty of contents stored inside and I need iPad to send a command to arduino which has been programmed to take out specific data that I'm asking from my iPad. My iPad will communicate and send command to arduino via wifi. But arduino task is to take the data from a server(which is my PC) and present it to my iPad. I don't know how will arduino be connected to PC as the wifi will be use to send data to iPad. Can the wifi work both ways? Can the project be done?

BTW Thanks Geoff!

Hi,

rkosharil:
Ok I have a server which has plenty of contents stored inside and I need iPad to send a command to arduino which has been programmed to take out specific data that I'm asking from my iPad.

Your Arduino can't read or write to your PC directly so you'll need to be running some software on the PC that will respond to the request that's sent from the Arduino. This software on the PC will presumably also present a catalog of what's available via the Arduino back to the iPad so it can be selected in that app.

rkosharil:
I don't know how will arduino be connected to PC as the wifi will be use to send data to iPad. Can the wifi work both ways?

Sure. WiFi doesn't need to be peer-to-peer.

rkosharil:
Can the project be done?

You'll need to code something at the PC end, in the middle on the Arduino and on the iPad end. It sounds like a load of work for something that, so far, I still can't see why the Arduino is involved. There are inexpensive iOS apps that can let your iPad see SAMBA/Windows shares, and of course Dropbox is free if you just want to get to some files on your PC via your iPad and vice versa.

But, if it's just to prove that you can, I get that too...

Cheers !
Geoff

rkosharil:
4. How can I possibly send command from my iPad to arduino to update info that is in my PC.

Why doesn't the iPad simply send your 'command' directly to the PC? The Arduino serves no purpose here as far as I can see. Whatever you were going to have the Arduino trigger the PC to do, just trigger directly from a webapp or similar service on the PC. It'll be far easier to communicate directly rather than go via the Arduino.