Duemilanove made in China

Found this in one of the distributor (not official Arduino) webpage.
What a scam. Dueminalove is definitely no more in production.

Go on then - which distributor is it?

Why is this a scam?

Having better quality boards for less money?
All the schematics are open Source lol.

It's claiming it's an official Arduino board made in china - violating the Arduino trademark - they can rename it and reproduce if they want.

Mowcius

So the "we" is not the arduino guys? OK that is pirating or breaking registered mark then. Just don't buy from them. It's still not scam though. One would get next to nothing in a scam scenario. In this one you will get an arduino clone but it's rip off the original product.

It's still not scam though

"a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation" - merriam-webster.com

Seems deceptive to me.

When someone doesn't even have the decency to rename their product after ripping it off of an open source design, they probably aren't worthy of your money and business. There are all sorts of clones out there with their own name. I have respect for those guys, but personally, I really like the guys with the original idea. I reward them with my business, no matter how small I may be. Chinese Arduino...NO, I wouldn't buy anything from them.

The way they described is as though Duemilanove is indeed made in China. It's rather hilarious but it would very bad if some people would fall for this.

It's rather hilarious but it would very bad if some people would fall for this.

Maybe if they added copy " No animals were harmed in the production of this Arduino" ?

Lefty

seedsduino,freeduino is made in China also some of clone.They all made in China.

j

seedsduino,freeduino is made in China also some of clone.They all made in China.

1. The seeedduino is indeed made in China
  2. Didn't find where the Freeduino is made
  3. They are not 'all made in China'. The official boards are made in Italy. Much clones are made in the USA (Sparkfun and suchlike) or in Europe. It's not because it's cheap there everybody will produce there. There ethical people in this world.
  4. This discussion isn't about where boards are produced. It's about som1 who claims to be the official manufacturer of the Arduino's (which is a serious offence, since the boards are protected by a copyright). It's like I would fake Coca-cola. That has been done. But wait, I produce fake Coca-cola bottled in bottles with 'Official Coca-cola' on it. That's not legal, you may fake it (kind of) but not use there name. That's what the 'r' ('registered') or 'c' ('copyrighted') in a little circle or 'TM' ('Trade mark') stands for.
    But now about the Arduino. You MAY make your own boards. Schematics, layout, print, .... are all available for free. That's called open-source. As a reciprocate, you have to send improvements when you make some, and provide schematics if you make your own clone. You may sell boards you produced (called 'clones') but with another name name (freeduino, seeedduino, ...). When you see a board with 'Arduino (TM)' on it, it was either manufactured by the Arduino guys and sold to that shop, or it was ILLEGALLY produced by some stupid guy.

Much clones are made in the USA (Sparkfun and suchlike)

As far as I know, Sparkfun (and also the NKC Freeduino) has at least their PCBs manufactured in China, while the official Arduinos make a pretty big deal about the whole thing being manufactured in Italy.

Which is not at all the same thing as claiming/implying that official production of the Duemilanove has been moved to (my factory in) China and that's where you should be buying them from if you want that version...

That's what the 'r' ('registered') or 'c' ('copyrighted') in a little circle or 'TM' ('Trade mark') stands for.

For clarities sake...
(r) = trademarked [ Trademark - Wikipedia ]
(c) = copyrighted [ Copyright - Wikipedia ]

Trademarking basically means you hold exclusive rights to use the name.
Copyright basically means you hold exclusive rights to create duplicates of the product (this by no means that the arduino team doesn't hold copyright on the arduino designs and such, they extend the privileges onto everybody through an open-source license. This is an important distinction for businesses).

Why not call it a Sinoduino?

Why not call it a Sinoduino?

yes...should be.

Jeckson