HDMI

What kind of HDMI format / signal does the VidorGraphics core create / support right now?

Hi,
output right now is just DVI, RGB. at the moment even if we could output 24 bits, in order to save DDR bandwidth we're just handling 5 bits per color.
we coud in theory support real HDMI even with embedded audio BUT that would likely violate some patents so i'm afraid we can't do it.

Thanks for the clarification but does that mean I can use my computer HDMI Monitor as a Vidor4000 display?

In my very limited experience micro HDMI to my HDMI capable monitor was not showing an image.

However I did get the Arduino logo to show up with a monitor that supports DVI. I used a DVI to HDMI cable with an HDMI to micro HDMI adapter. The Arduino logo showed up after double tapping the reset button.

Though running the VidorGraphics example VidorDrawLogo shows nothing.

Thanks mduca. That explains why i don't get any signal on my HDMI monitor. So in order to get it running i would need a DVI to HDMI converter right? MICRO-HDMI -> DVI -> Converter -> HDMI -> Monitor?

Hi guys,
by standard HDMI shal be compatible with DVI signalling so you should not need any converter. we are using micro HDMI to HDMI cables and connect to HDMI monitors directly. note that likely the HDMI output won't work if board is powered only via battery (no USB or external 5V power supply).
for cases where this doesn't work this is something we need to investigate.

Thanks Dario. I am relieved. Maybe I am having a similar problem like these guys.
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=561572.15

DarioPennisi:
Hi,
output right now is just DVI, RGB. at the moment even if we could output 24 bits, in order to save DDR bandwidth we're just handling 5 bits per color.
we coud in theory support real HDMI even with embedded audio BUT that would likely violate some patents so i'm afraid we can't do it.

Does your version support dvi-d? I don't get any signal out of my mini-hdmi to hdmi adapter at my crt. No logo on double tap. No output from camera visible even though camera light is on. Same with QR recognition sketch.

Do you have any plans for publishing the complete source code for the boot loader, hal drivers, rpc mailbox, fpga initialization from samd to nios ii, etc. ? Why is there no provision for debugging?

All of us are frustrated by issues that cannot be solved through forum posts. More support is required.

I ordered a micro HDMI to HDMI cable from Amazon. It was their amazon basic brand. With no success.

Using this cable I was unable to get the Vidor to display the Arduino logo. My HDMI monitor appeared to get a signal, then went to no signal or power saving mode. It kept doing this until I unplugged the Vidor.

It’s as if the HDMI monitor is getting triggered to display something, and gets cut off and restarts.

I powered the Vidor using my old MacBook Pro and also a stand alone 5V 2.5A power adapter typically used for my raspberry pi.

At this point I’m not sure what else can be done to help troubleshoot the issue. I’m open to suggestions or things to try. I’m at work now but can look again later this evening.

Hi Everyone,

There was some issues with the bitstream provided in the original VidorGraphics library. We've pushed an updated version to Github: GitHub - vidor-libraries/VidorGraphics: VidorGraphics "fat" library repository - for issues/PR refer to

Please re-download the library and add to your sketchbook to get the fixes.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately the changes to the VidorGraphics library didn't fix the issue.

Hi @mduca,

I'm using the same Amazon Basics micro HDMI to HDMI cable as you.

Do you have the serial monitor open when you run the sketch? What's the output of it?

I am not seeing any HDMI output either even after fixing my sketch upload problem and updating to the new VidorGraphics library. I did try with serial monitor (no output) and without by removing all Serial statements.

I am using a LG 27MP77HM-P Monitor with this cable.

Hi Loopmasta,
please try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the monitor after the board has started. as i mentioned elsewhere i've seen that with a samsung monitor even if signal is there it won't display but it will after you unplug and replug the cable. likely this is due to the fact that we output video after a while the cable is connected... please try and let me know..
let me also know if you at least see the boot image screen with arduino logo if you double tap reset

@DarioPennisi If i unconnect / reconnect the display and double tap reset i get this. (See attachment) Pixel garbage

This looks really weird. Have you any chance to try a different monitor? Have you ever seen the Arduino logo at boot? I don't think the image comes from the board; more likely that monitor is thinking we output hdcp while for sure we don't...

DarioPennisi:
This looks really weird. Have you any chance to try a different monitor?

I ordered a 7'' HDMI monitor to work with the vidor4000. I'll let you know if it works when I get it.

DarioPennisi:
Have you ever seen the Arduino logo at boot?

No. I have never seen any output at the HDMI port. Thats why I started this thread (topic) in the first place.

ok. let me know if you don't manage to get any output. it may as well be an hardware issue on your board, in which case please contact service and you'll get a replacement.

Hi Dario, I finally got my Waveshare 7'' 1024x600 HDMI display and when i double tap the reset button the display just slowly turns white. Nothing else. The display works fine with my Pi, PS4, and Mac.

Hi loopmasta.
Seems to me monitor slowly turning white means it's not able to cope with the signal. Please try hooking up a PC or something else at 640x480. If it displays then I suggest you request a replacement board.

Please contact support@arduino.cc and link to this forum post to get the process started.

Thanks

Dario