Is it possible to clean ICs with Pure Alcohol ?

Boardburner2:
grin.

As an addendum , industrial meths is an excellent solvent imo.

It does not have the residue associated with the over the counter.

Unfortunately eu taxation of alcohol encourages adulteration by criminal gangs and poisoning is too common.

This makes industrial meths extremely difficult to get.

Here, in France, you can buy "Alcool à brûler" in any supermarket. It consists of 90 to 95% ethanol with 5 to 10% methanol. Both are highly volatile and leave no residue making it very good for cleaning.

Russell.

equivalent here is rubbing alcohol.
Composition is different though its pretty good but im sure that there is something else in it , it feels slightly oily after evaporation

The french type cannot be imported to the uk without a licence, i tried once.

Boardburner2:
Composition is different though its pretty good but im sure that there is something else in it , it feels slightly oily after evaporation

That would be because it has oil in it!

And often, perfume as well.

Hint: Notice the name: "Rubbing Alcohol." :roll_eyes:

firashelou:
i am cleaning dust

and about the compositions it says : Aqua and Alcohol

Aqua i think is water according to cosmetic companies.

Alcohol type should be specified.

Over here rubbing alcohol uses isopropyl alcohol at 40 % as a denaturant.

Its not very nice for dust ime it evaporates slowly and sludges the dust making it difficult to vacuum.

Cleaning dust off psu's especially hv ones can be very annoying.

Not allowed to use compressed air as it blows it all over the place just a hoover.

industrial meths (brushed with adequate ventilation) used to be my preferred solution.

Cant have water in it.

Someone suggested colemans fluid but iv never been sure about that to try it.

edit
to be clear i was using pure isopropyl not rubbing alcohol.

Boardburner2:

Actually, it is according to the classical Romans of antiquity who developed the language: Latin. Traditionally used in the Medical Profession and pharmaceutical products.

Boardburner2:
Its not very nice for dust ime it evaporates slowly and sludges the dust making it difficult to vacuum.

If IPA is the "denaturant", what is the rest? Ethanol I suppose, as it is the cheapest to actually make.

"Rubbing alcohol" sludges the dust because as noted above, it contains oil.

Paul__B:
Actually, it is according to the classical Romans of antiquity who developed the language: Latin. Traditionally used in the Medical Profession and pharmaceutical products.
If IPA is the "denaturant", what is the rest? Ethanol I suppose, as it is the cheapest to actually make.

"Rubbing alcohol" sludges the dust because as noted above, it contains oil.

Yes ethanol and isopropyl.

Oil, yes i edited the post while you were posting , i was meaning pure isopropyl not rubbing.

Manufacturer says alcohol can be used without specifying type.

In the good old days we had arklone available.

Anhydrous alcohol works well, 99.9%. Dries quick thru evaporation as there is next to nothing in it. Use ventilation if cleaning a lot of cards.

I've never seen "rubbing alcohol" that had crap in it, it always evaporated clean for me. At least in the states, rubbing alcohol is 70% or 91% (the stood you want) isopropyl alcohol. It does not contain a denaturant, as isopropyl alcohol is not drinkable (it's only mildly toxic though).

That's what I use for cleaning off flux, as well as many other cleaning operations

russellz:
Here, in France, you can buy "Alcool à brûler" in any supermarket. It consists of 90 to 95% ethanol with 5 to 10% methanol. Both are highly volatile and leave no residue making it very good for cleaning.

Russell.

exactly mine is volatile that's why i had courage to use it ! you can put alcohol all over yourself and after a bit of time nothing is left :slight_smile:

Boardburner2:

Alcohol type should be specified.

Cleaning dust off psu's especially hv ones can be very annoying.

Not allowed to use compressed air as it blows it all over the place just a hoover.

industrial meths (brushed with adequate ventilation) used to be my preferred solution.

Cant have water in it.

Someone suggested colemans fluid but iv never been sure about that to try it.

edit
to be clear i was using pure isopropyl not rubbing alcohol.

aqua is latin yes and it means water for sure, it is used in italian and spanish but different letters, in spanish acqua and in italian agua

well i tried to clean the ICs as i said before and everything works fine, the composition doesn't tell which alcohol they are using but it says the percentage is 95% that's all on the bottle

CrossRoads:
Anhydrous alcohol works well, 99.9%. Dries quick thru evaporation as there is next to nothing in it. Use ventilation if cleaning a lot of cards.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/electronic-cleaners/isopropyl-alcohol-824/

the one i use cleans 99.9% too and dries very quickly so i guess according to this info my ICs are safe :slight_smile: ?

Is there really an advantage in using 99.9% isopropanol vs. the 91% solution that is readily available? A 91% v/v solution is the azeotrope. A nearly pure solution would be somewhat more volatile but temperature and air flow are probably a lot more important than that slight difference. I wonder how much moisture the anhydrous stuff absorbs before it evaporates?

Anhydrous isopropanol costs $10 for a 500ml bottle at digikey, not including shipping. The other day I walked down to the local drug store and bought a 480ml bottle of 91% isopropanol/water for under $3.

Or does it make a noticeable difference?

I find the "dryer" alcohol cuts thru the flux from rosin core solder quite well. Lesses %s need multiple passes to clean.
My local electronics supplier has it in gallon bottles. I picked one up at some point, we put a few ounces at a time in a small pump jar (not sure what the actual name is, same square bottle with spring top, push down a couple times and top fills with some alcohol for the cleaning brush - same thing our shop at work uses for cleaning up reworked boards).
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Menda/35309/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugResYH%252b75ZqvYV6knOqbetNdKoUVscgdY%3d
which my supplier also had, along with a hog hair bursh
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG-Chemicals/857/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvJqaFk9BIiv6jhjM0Pk6JzPq2RhIeIS6c%3d
This one works well as the bristles are longer and the pins of shields can go thru the bristles.
Hopefully the forum/IE11 won't stick extra http stuff at the front of the links ...

Good stuff! Use in a ventilated area.

ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL: ELECTRONICS CLEANER 824-LIQUID

Page 10 of 14 Date of Creation: 01 Aug 2013 / Ver. 2.01

Skin corrosion/irritation

Causes mild skin irritation based on Draize tests on rabbits. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis

Serious eye damage/irritation

Causes moderate to severe eye irritation based on Draize tests on rabbits

Sensitization (allergic reactions)

No evidence of sensitization

Carcinogenicity (risk of cancer)

Not classified or listed as a carcinogen by IARC, ACGIH, CA Prop 65, or NTP

Mutagenicity (risk of heritable genetic effects)

No data available

Reproductive Toxicity (risk to sex functions)

No data available

Teratogenicity (risk of fetus malformation)

No data available

STOT-single exposure

Propan-2-ol can affect the central nervous system by inhalation causing drowsiness or dizziness.

STOT-repeated exposure

No data available

Aspiration hazard

Not classified as aspiration hazards.

So you think the 99% concentration has a noticeably greater solvent power than the 91%? It would be interesting to see a blind test.

I just know it took what seemed like 3 cleanings for the sticky feel to go away, and longer to dry.

Boardburner2:
equivalent here is rubbing alcohol.

The french type cannot be imported to the uk without a licence, i tried once.

Incorrect. "Rubbing Alcohol" is isopropyl, water, and generally some kind of oil.

What he describes is called denatured alcohol in the USA. Ethanol with methanol and often a few other solvents. Works great as a degreaser, but attacks some plastics.

I generally use 99% isopropyl for cleaning electronics, but also use denatured alcohol for some tasks.

jboyton:
So you think the 99% concentration has a noticeably greater solvent power than the 91%? It would be interesting to see a blind test.

The key thing is that it leaves less water behind.

polymorph:
The key thing is that it leaves less water behind.

The solution doesn't evaporate?

The alcohol evaporates quickly, the water not as quickly.