what does this error mean (avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00)

ApacheOmega:
How do I know I have a good COM port cause it seems if it knows my device is there

Unplug the Arduino. Check the Tools > Serial Port menu and take note of anything currently listed. Plug it in, and check the menu again. The new one would be the correct one.

and as far as the problem with my laptop how do I get it to recognize that its even hooked up?

Try re-installing the drivers.

Thanks Arrch
I unplugged and a new port COM3 pulled up but when I plugged back up it still creates the same message.
I guess I have to figure out which of my USB ports is the actual COM3 (I have 5 USP ports) how do I find out which one is COM3 pointed at?

I think we need to see the log.

Probably a dumb question, but are you uploading the sketch with the Ethernet shield on or off? Also, can it upload one of the basic example programs?

ApacheOmega:
I have to figure out which of my USB ports is the actual COM3 (I have 5 USP ports) how do I find out which one is COM3 pointed at?

That's not how it works. Things plugged into USB ports become COM ports; USB ports themselves, are not COM ports.

Pls help me regarding this error , i am frequently getting this error 'Re: what does this error mean (avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00)'while uploading the program in arduino fio using programmer

Pls help me regarding this error , i am frequently getting this error 'Re: what does this error mean (avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00)'while uploading the program in arduino fio using usb serial.

HazardsMind whats up man
No it wont even load up the example programs and the ports option in the tools menu is just greyed out to where I cant even select it (how do I uninstall and reinstall the software?)

Thanks Partner!!!

Just delete the Arduino 1.0.3 / 1.0.4 folder, and re-download it. But I don't think it has anything to do with the software, I think you need to update your drivers in Device Manager > (that particular COM port for your arduino)

You can try to re-download the software and then update the driver.

Usually when I got that error, it was because I had my Bluetooth module still plugged into the TX/RX pins. Once I removed it, I was able to upload my sketchs.

HazardsMind, you nailed it. Moving connections out from the TX/RX (0/1) pins did the trick.

Thank you so much. I NEVER would have guessed this!

Hi I am experiencing the ssme problem. Can anyone guide me how to solve the problem? My board is anrduino duemilanove.

It is very strange when I try to upload a sketch using IDE 0022 everything works as it should but when Iuse the latest IDE 1.0.5 I get the error as mentioned in this subject.

IDK more what to do.

IDK more what to do.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum. It says that if you are posting on the Programming section, you post your code. Without your code, how can we possibly help you?

Without your code, you can bump until the cows come home, and you'll just be wasting your time, and ours.

There is no "solution" to the problem. The interface is basically flaky and you just have to learn to live with it. I have to unplug and then plug the USB an average of three times, every time I try to upload a sketch. And then , once the sketch is uploaded, I have to unplug it and plug it exactly twice, before the serial monitor will work.

Aparently it works better on linux.

The interface is basically flaky and you just have to learn to live with it.

Or it's your PC. I've NEVER had to unplug and reconnect the Arduino to upload or to open the Serial Monitor application, on Mac or on XP or on Win7.

I understand that I had to post my code but this is not matter of codeing. This is matter of drivers which I dont know hoe to repair. Actually to tell you the truth J am uplading the sample blink Led.

Are you using the same USB cable every time? Try different cables, I had the same issue recently and it turned out to be a bad cable.

I just got the same error. Are you using a shield with a DLINE/UART switch ? If so make sure it is set to DLINE when uploading the sketch, then set to UART before running the sketch.

Hey guys,

Been using Getting Started with Arduino. The last sketch I uploaded was Dimming the led with a variable resistance UV sensor. In place of the UV sensor I used a 300 ohm to 1.2kohm pot.
I was using linux for my sketches and now the DIM sketch isnt even in my sketchbook anymore so i cant show you.

I uploaded the sketch and the led came on connected to p9 but didnt dim. Went to bed and went to use it the next afternoon and its no longer recognised by Linux or windows on my desktop or laptop.

Please help me figure this out. Thanks heaps!!

PaulS:

IDK more what to do.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum. It says that if you are posting on the Programming section, you post your code. Without your code, how can we possibly help you?

Without your code, you can bump until the cows come home, and you'll just be wasting your time, and ours.

I think what he is trying to say is this is not the place to ask that question, which comes up quite frequently, for many different reasons.

EDIT: You will probably do better in 'Installation and Troubleshooting.'