Problem putting hardware on a box

Hello, I'm doing a keyboard with push buttons because I'm working on a bigger project, but I don't know how to put all the stuff on a box. The main problem it's that the push buttons pins are too small to connect them directly with a female wire, and if I mount all the circuit on a breadboard the push buttons are inaccessible because there are lots of cables around them.
I would like to put all the connections in a box and only see the keys when looking from outside, like a typewriter. Finally I want it to look more or less like the image.

Sorry for my English. Any help would be appreciated :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: .
Someone has any idea to how to do this??

Imagine that the background of the image is a piece of wood or a plastic, all the wires should be below it. Thanks

Your English is fine, but instead of showing what your pushbutton problem is, you show an old manual typewriter. Not being able to attach wires to the pushbutton pins is nonsense.

How are your pushbuttons mounted? Only by the pins? Please supply a link to the source of your pushbuttons.

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul, I would like to put all the wires and resistors inside the box, and only have access to the push button while being outside of the box. The first image, it's the push button that I use, and the second one the type of wire. The problem comes when I want to connect them because the push button pins are too small to fit on the female part of the wire (the other part it's connected to arduino).

Thank you.

The problem comes when I want to connect them because the push button pins are too small to fit on the female part of the wire (the other part it's connected to arduino).

The problem is that you are using a switch that is meant to be soldered to a PCB.

The solution is to download and install Eagle CAD and design a printed circuit board. Then, look in the Products and Services section of the forum, for one of the companies that will turn your design into a PCB.

Thank you for your answer, it's a great idea, but I was looking to make it with wires and all this stuff. What you said is also a great idea I'm going to consider it.

The switch and wire are both made to be soldered. So, solder the wires to the switch.

Your fundamental problem is you are using the wrong type switch to make a keyboard.

You could also use perf board to mount the switches, but still have to solder wires.

Paul

I started soldering some wires to the switches this morning, but it was a bit difficult because there is a very small contact between the wire and the button.

Paul, if those aren't the correct switches to make a keyboard which ones will be better??

Thank you for your answers

miguelsanchez1703:
I started soldering some wires to the switches this morning, but it was a bit difficult because there is a very small contact between the wire and the button.

Paul, if those aren't the correct switches to make a keyboard which ones will be better??

Thank you for your answers

Yes, they are small. But soldering will give a solid, permanent connection. Any push-on connection can also me pushed off my mistake.

I guess you are working backward on this project. Why are you trying to build a full keyboard, as you pictured? What are your requirements for size? Really, how many keys do you need? Who is going to use the keyboard? And finally, why not use a readily available keyboard?

Paul

Hello Paul, I'm working on a enigma replica(the German encryption machine of WWII). I'm building it only for fun and research, because when I have finished it I will improve it a little bit, and in a future I will connect to a server and talk with my friends within this machine and its encrypted messages. Discussing about the size, I don't have any preferences, not too big or too small, more or less like a normal keyboard. Thank you for your attention.

miguelsanchez1703:
Hello Paul, I'm working on a enigma replica(the German encryption machine of WWII). I'm building it only for fun and research, because when I have finished it I will improve it a little bit, and in a future I will connect to a server and talk with my friends within this machine and its encrypted messages. Discussing about the size, I don't have any preferences, not too big or too small, more or less like a normal keyboard. Thank you for your attention.

Ok, that is a good reason. The pictures show 26 keys in 3 rows.

I think the use of perf boards to mount the switches would work. Still have to solder wires. Then mount the whole assembly on something more substantial using some stand-off posts to support the perf board.

Perhaps wire the switch assembly to a connector on the edge of the perf boards so the switch wires will not be getting in the way of the rest of the device. Use ribbon cable from the connector to the Arduino assembly.

Paul

I really liked the idea of the perfboard, I will look and when I finish my machine I will put some images and share the code.

Thanks for all your brilliant ideas.

Another nice idea that I will try to do (when I finish the enigma replica) it's create a Christopher, the machine that broke enigma. It's bigger and at the same time more difficult, but where is the objective of programming if there aren't challenges??