Simple Audio (.wav) and Arduino..how? (from uSD card?)

hi guys..

I have played with the Arduino, off and on a bit.... but have never integrated any AUDIO into it.. (outside of a tone I think)

my question is 2 fold.

I am looking for the most BASIC /easy to use (to understand the hardware) way to play audio files with the Arduino.

is the best/easiest/fastest route to use some sort of 'static' chip/memory to hold the audio file(s)?

of course for flexibility Id like to use a uSD card for swapping of files..etc..etc..

I always struggle with the hardware/circuits..

and while still a noob, Im better/more comfortable with the software/programming side of things.

I guess I'll start here.. and let the discussion (education) dicate the course I attempt to work with.

any basic links on circuits for setting us a uSD card (no breakout boards.. just uSD adapter on a breadboard to the Arduino)

or how to work with another chip/memory to play/execute a file upon button event.

Thanks!

Easiest/fastest
http://store.arduino.cc/eu/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=122

xl97:
any basic links on circuits for setting us a uSD card (no breakout boards.. just uSD adapter on a breadboard to the Arduino)

or how to work with another chip/memory to play/execute a file upon button event.
Thanks!

Im assuming your link/advice is to purchase an add-on/daughter board of some kind?

I'd like to see the circuit myself..and do it on my breadboard.. so I can eventually port to a smaller custom PCB..with a minimal Arduino circuit..

so again..no add-on boards, no daughter boards..no 'shields'...

I know this is NOT correct.. missing any resistors and other components that would be needed.. but I'll start here and work toward a working 'goal'

or maybe.. that is getting even a step ahead..

I have read about converting .wav into "C" code.. maybe thats easier?

using another 'chip' to hold the audio (converted or not?).. and play/trigger it from there?

would that be an easier step then going straight to SD and reading from there?

Im trying to NOT bite off more than I can chew or get answers so hard to decipher I get discouraged..

so Im trying to break it into steps.. to reach the end

1.) SD card or 'chip' to hold the audio? (I would like to say there is about 9 sounds.. all very small sound FX with one being a looped track playing constantly, seamlessly..which is probably a bit longer than the sound FX only files)

(if chip..I dont know how to load these audio files to the chip for playback..but it cant be that bad..and Im willing to learn/try) =)

2.) accessing playing the audio from the above chosen solution.

Im hoping there is some clear cut diagrams (not schematics) to help me figure out one approach or another.

Thanks

I'd like to see the circuit myself

Im hoping there is some clear cut diagrams (not schematics)

?

lmao..sorry

to be clear(er)

I know 'if I want to play in this game.. I need to learn how to read schematics'.. but the reality is they are hard for me sometimes.. as I dont always understand the symbols or the naming..

so a 'diagram' like the link/pic I made/posted.. is a bit more easier to follow.

also makes listing all components needed easier.

still no input on the chip vs cs card? easier to use?... faster to get up and testing?

its such a PAN for me to have to wade through all this hardware side of htings..when all I want to get to is the code side of it. =(

is going the SD route the easier/faster route?

seems like going the SD card route is a PITA... tons of extra stuff on that 'schematic'..
I knew Id need to add a (somehow) wire up an op-amp.. I have am LM387 (I think) amp on the breadboard.. (not set up with filters or pot yet)..but I doubt I'll be able to drudge through all the other 'stuff' going on in the link/schematic?!

Thanks

as I dont always understand the symbols or the naming

But at least they're mostly standardised, not arbitrary hieroglyphs.
And more concise. (the complete schematic is half the size of the incomplete JPEG)

Sorry I guess Im just not understand where the help is?

half the size? (again failing to see relevance?) cold be as big or small as it wants to be..but if I dont understand it..its of 0 help.

this is not moving forward on positive or constructive..

so I'll re-group.

anybody got some links to either help make it easier to understand the above 'attempts'?..

or any info on learning how to store a sound in a chip and play it from Arduino..

thanks!

half the size? (again failing to see relevance?)

..and about twenty times as much information content.

this is not moving forward on positive or constructive

Learn standards. Move forwards. Start constructing.

ok..

thanks for the help AWOL......

anyone else have links or reference stuff to help me learn and start working towards this goal?

or how about links for storing audio files in a static chip first.. (might help cut down on the hardware side?)

thanks

thanks for the help AWOL......

Hmmm, my sarcasm-o-meter just twitched off the end stops.

Seriously, I don't understand your antipathy to schematics.
You don't program your sketches (directly) in binary, you use the condensed form of C, so why don't you want to learn how to design circuits without a lot of fluff?

no sarcasm..

thanks for the help and posts you made.

unfortunately.. I just can use any of it to help 'me'.

I dont have any 'antipathy' towards schematics.. but I dont fully understand them...and having to use them makes things 100 times HARDER for me at this point. I understand hey are better.. more informatvie..and what the professionals like to use/read.

however I am NOT one them... and I need something that is HELPFUL in the answers I seek.. not just more steps/pieces the puzzle.

my focus is trying to get to the code part. (period).. to do that I am seeking help with the hardware side of things.

You have not even answered or touched on the numerous attempts of asking about using a static chip..or other questions I had posted.
you are focus on the link/schematic (which again at this point is too much/useless for me)

I know 'YOU' are season/vet member.. but taking things for granted that you learned long ago or not keeping in mind that others do NOT have the experience you do us 'noobies' no good. If I had that experience and knowledge I wouldnt need to come here seeking help.

I can only equate this to the machining world..

some people buy their lathes & mills.. and their machines BECOME the hobby/project.. with mods and tweaks..etc..
some buy these machines as 'tools' only, to further their end projects/hobby..

this is about as 'tough' of a schematic I can handle:

http://www.embedds.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/schematicuo7.jpg

or this:

although I dont think the second one does anything.. as I have tried similar in my 'diagram' above..

to summarize.. (if this was the intent or not)

I was looking for some for VERY basic noob help....

and I got a 'DO IT' type response.. with a link that is over my ability (as stated in the op.. a basic, easy diagram to follow)

not saying my lack or ability if your fault..but there is no need to keep beating a deadhorse with a "DO IT" type link that does nothing for me.

So I tried to seek alternative solutions and questions to meet my goal..

ie: easier diagram.. or maybe explore the static memory chip route.

Thanks

although I dont think the second one does anything..

I think the key element you missed in the second "schematic" was the word "module", which I imagine encapsulates the voltage divider in your first schematic (note the lack of quotes).

Good luck in your endeavours

hmm..ok. because the SD needs to run @ 3.3v correct.

I'll have to check...but I thought my original attempt (months ago) maybe have not grabbed the 5v form the Arduino but a stable 3.3v from my PSU.. (I can also try the 3.3v pad form the Arduino as well....correct?)

hopefully I'll drudge through it.. (still looking for anybody to post some links or articles on use a static chip vs sd card..

thanks