Change in editor function?

Has there been a change in the function of the editor? When I click on an opening brace (or closing) it still highlights the associated closing brace, but not the code in between the two.
Noticed after install of 1.6.5.r2, win7 64.

Sorry if already noted, my searches did not find anything.

Why should it highlight the code in between the braces? Can you detail (with some code) what do you expect and what you get?

I've never noticed the editor highlighting the code between brackets.

Below are screen shots of 1.6.3.
A single left click slightly past the brace or parentheses highlights the associated brace or parentheses.
This is the behavior in 1.6.5.r2.

A double left click slightly past the brace or parentheses highlights all code ahead to the associated brace or parentheses.

As to why, I wouldn't know but have found it very handy while learning and debugging.

I can indeed say there is a change. In 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 standing next to a brackets highlights the closing pair. Double clicking a bracket (or behind if the line ends after the bracket) results in selecting the whole block.

In 1.6.5 the bracket highlighting still works but the double click part doesn't. It tries to select something but undoes it again. They certainly made some changes because the made the bracket highlighting "more fancy" (bounces up). So it looks like a bug :slight_smile:

septillion we changed the editor with a modern one. I wasn't aware of that double click feature. I'll try to reimplement it in the next version

Tracking issue is Double clicking after a open curly brace should select the block · Issue #3387 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub

Say what?
I am not that naive to expect developers to know everything about CURRENT editor, but would expect administrators to know ( ...never heard of it...). Maybe they are too busy policing and do not write code.
Just have a gut feeling that "new and improved " arduino web side we as USERS experienced in last year is going to repeat with new releases.

We are USERS and upgrading to new releases seems to be faster than I change my dirty underpants.
No good if you goal is working software, you have not much time to spent on "upgrades"

Do some QA or beta tests BEFORE release, pretty please.

Hers is another "modern improved" gem.

After keying
/*

• is automatically added to each new line.

Why? Because it looks cool?

Now few gurus here complain about too many unnecessary characters / comments in posts and this "modern" editor will keep adding these * AUTOMATICALLY.

No more "dancing bears"! PLEASE

Thank you Federico! Would be nice.

@Vaclav, mistakes are human and it's a project with multiple coders. As long as they fix the problem it's okay.

Also, I quite like the * in front of the next line. It makes block comment text more readable. Only don't like it when I block out a piece of code, go back to the top and hit return after the /* it places a *. But yeay, doesn't happen to often.

But yeah, I the long run I like to use Notepad++ because the most annoying thing I miss in the IDE is word highlighting. If I highlight a variable I find it really really easy if the editor highlights the var in the whole code. Easy to spot typo's etc.

There is a hidden preference in the IDE. If you close the ide, edit file preferences.txt, add "editor.advanced=true" and restart the IDE, it will highlight current var (the one the cursor is on)

I am not pointing out mistakes, just the way software engineers think it is always an improvement in what they did and sometime they just get away from reality.

But on positive side - automatically adding * into comments MAY accomplish two things - help hobbyist ( and professionals too) to comment their code and same time stop administrators from nitpicking and complain about too many irrelevant ( delay (100) ; // delay 1000 ms ) or incorrect comments.

The lack of management care (Arduino.inc) about quality of software has been very apparent in last year or so.
As I said before, these guys are savvy developers, but the management stinks and don't care.

There is a hidden preference in the IDE
Say what?
"hidden" from whom?
But that may be language ( English) misinterpretation on my part.

off soap box for now

"hidden" in this case means not really showing up. I am a non-admin user and need to use Windows Run to get to AppData. But it is really easy to edit.

Thanks Federico! Why isn't this line in the preferences (but set to false) by default? Is it because it's a 1.6.5 new (and untested) feature? Because I tested it (doesn't work in 1.6.4 at all) but in 1.6.5 it's not that great. Highlighting is slow and a var stays highlighted until you stumble across a new var (even is you move your cursor).

I think you answered your own question :slight_smile:

Okay :smiley: Thanks!

Original poster

Just checking as the thread kinda went sideways, is this an active issue or included in a nightly build or beta?

edit:
didn't want it to sound like a complaint, I'm just not familiar with the tagging process.
I am grateful for this fantastic software and the system it created.
In that regard I am sure I speak for many, thanks