Norway and Australia

It is only 2/Jan and Norway has just broken the record for its highest January temperature, it is 25 (twenty-five) degrees above the seasonal average!

In Norway, until now a cold country, 10% of vehicles are electric.

Meanwhile in Australia politicians still seem to be defending their pro-coal stance. It is estimated that so far 500 million animals have died in the bush fires there, and new fire warnings continue to be issued. All Australian states have been experiencing +40C temperatures and, apart from the fires, wild animals are also dying in numbers simply because of the high ambient temperature.

The world is flat, it is only 8,000 years old, NASA never landed men on the moon, climate change is a myth.

What on earth does it take for some politicians to waken up to the facts and the gravity and urgency of the present situation.

Money.

Sadly I am inclined to agree with @Qdeathstar.

Humans don't seem to be able to put "profit" to one side and be content with "enough" rather than "more". Perhaps it's our genes which evolved when the search for more was necessary for survival.

Yes I know well that some humans can be selfless - but they seem to be a small minority, or perhaps they are only selfless about a narrow range of things.

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Perhaps human intelligence is a poor indicator of long term species survival.

...R

Well. I disagree about the long term survival part. Even if global warming causes the death of 3/4 of the human species it will still have a very healthy population.

I think famine due to global warming and fast spreading diseases due to dense population and over use of antibiotics are going to claim enough humans prior to the earth being permanently changed into Venus. But not enough as to cause the extinction of man. We are pretty adaptable.

Qdeathstar:
Well. I disagree about the long term survival part. Even if global warming causes the death of 3/4 of the human species it will still have a very healthy population.

You may be right - but 5 billion deaths is a very unpleasant prospect - just because humans aren't prepared to compromise. Like that stupid Bush man stirring up trouble with Iran.

...R

Robin2:
Like that stupid Bush man stirring up trouble with Iran.

Iran shoots down U.S. drone. Iran damages Saudi Arabia's oil facilities. Iran mines international shipping. Iran aids Hezbollah. Iran dedicated to the destruction of Israel. Iran kills U.S. contractor. Iran attacks U.S. embassy (again).

Some Iranians celebrate the killing of Soleimani.

Who's stirring?

The current minister of energy claim that Norwegian oil is a part of the CO2-solution! Believe it or not. I guess if you repeat a lie many times it become true.

As one in the current government said "Every drop [of oil] shall up". But the truth is that it's only about the money.

dougp:
Iran shoots down U.S. drone.

What was the drone doing in the first place.
In the second place it's just a machine.

Iran damages Saudi Arabia's oil facilities.

Isn't that a matter for the Saudis - they are not exactly defenceless

Iran mines international shipping.

If the mines are in international waters then just sweep them up

Iran aids Hezbollah. Iran dedicated to the destruction of Israel.

The Israelis bring a lot of that on themselves by their abominable treatment of the Palestinians. It may even be the root cause of the other issues

Iran kills U.S. contractor.

Was the contractor doing military work? Or was he just collateral damage - which never seems to count when the US does it.

Iran attacks U.S. embassy (again)

Close the embassy

...R

ardly:
Meanwhile in Australia politicians still seem to be defending their pro-coal stance. It is estimated that so far 500 million animals have died in the bush fires there, and new fire warnings continue to be issued. All Australian states have been experiencing +40C temperatures and, apart from the fires, wild animals are also dying in numbers simply because of the high ambient temperature.

What on earth does it take for some politicians to waken up to the facts and the gravity and urgency of the present situation.

500million where did that come from?
Our pollies have been standing out in the sun too long.
Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Our pollies have been standing out in the sun too long.

Maybe it's time to give the country back to its rightful owners ?

...R

thehardwareman:
The current minister of energy claim that Norwegian oil is a part of the CO2-solution! Believe it or not. I guess if you repeat a lie many times it become true.

Well, yes - by taking the nasty sticky stuff out of the ground, you make huge voids that you can then use for CO2 sequestration.
Duh.

Robin2:
If the mines are in international waters then just sweep them up

Not the water, actual ships, with people aboard.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/politics/us-images-iranian-boat-removing-mine/index.html

Besides, if they were in the water I guess one wouldn't know they were there until some innocent passerby's ship unexplainedly goes BOOM!

Robin2:
Isn't that a matter for the Saudis - they are not exactly defenceless

Beside the point. The point is an illustration of Iranian troublemaking.

Robin2:
The Israelis bring a lot of that on themselves by their abominable treatment of the Palestinians. It may even be the root cause of the other issues

So that's justification to wipe an entire people from the Earth?

Robin2:
Close the embassy

Party A attacks an embassy (sovereign territory) belonging to party B situated in party C's country. What is party A doing in party C's country to begin with?

Robin2:
Was the contractor doing military work? Or was he just collateral damage - which never seems to count when the US does it.

Again, why is party A attacking nationals of party B in party C's country?

Tom, bugs are animals too.

Referring to Replies #7 and #11

I was trying to make the point that the USA perspective on the world is not the only valid one.

...R

Robin2:
Referring to Replies #7 and #11

I was trying to make the point that the USA perspective on the world is not the only valid one.

...R

Might means right. :frowning:

It’s the only one that matters to me, robin...

#americanAF

But sand flees don’t deserve a perspective

Qdeathstar:
It’s the only one that matters to me, robin...

That's disappointing. This is a multinational Forum and I had hoped it would help in small way to bring people together towards a common set of values.

...R

dougp:
Again, why is party A attacking nationals of party B in party C's country?

Thread hijack, thread hijack, go and start your own thread elsewhere.

This one was about Norway ( a cold country ) having 10% electric cars and Australia having a 3 year drought, record breaking temperatures, literally being on fire and their politicians still supporting the coal industry and shrugging climate change off as a myth!!!

Anyway did party B not actually invade party C and has party C not been telling party B to F off both before and after party B decided to invade C ? In fact are party C not now welcoming party A as a friend who is "an enemy or our enemy" ?

I have a vivid recollection of an interview before Iraq was invaded in which the person speaking said something along the lines of; whatever we think of Sadam ( and I am really, really not saying we don't like him ) we hate the USA.

I remember thinking that this did not bode well for any invasion of Iraq which seemed to be a thinly veiled pretext for controlling oil in Iraq and getting forces close to the border with Iran. It has been 16 years since Iraq was invaded to overthrow the despotic tyrant Saddam Hussein - when are the locals going to come out to welcome the liberators?

Robin2:
That's disappointing. This is a multinational Forum and I had hoped it would help in small way to bring people together towards a common set of values.

...R

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head out of your hippie haze
And give a listen