ATmega 8 on arduino328

Hi,

Just i want to know, Can we use ATmega 8 on arduino328 board??

also tell me how to make arduino board more portacle, i dont want ISP header or USB header just i want DIGITAL pins 1-13 only. like i want to run

reloaded program.

chetan.

chetan0412:
Hi,

Just i want to know, Can we use ATmega 8 on arduino328 board??

also tell me how to make arduino board more portacle, i dont want ISP header or USB header just i want DIGITAL pins 1-13 only. like i want to run

reloaded program.

chetan.

Yes you can. The arduino IDE has a board selection type of "Arduino NG or older w/ ATmega8".
So a mega8 chip could be pugged into say a Uno board and work by selecting Arduino NG or older w/ ATmega8 board type. But of course the mega8 chip would have to have the proper bootloader code and fuse settings burned into the chip before it could work with the board and the arduino IDE.

Not sure what your second question is asking. How were you planning of loading your sketch onto the mega8 chip if not via ISP or USB link?

Lefty

Thanks for reply,

But of course the mega8 chip would have to have the proper bootloader code and fuse settings burned into the chip before it could work with the board and the arduino IDE.

my question is, how to burned proper bootloader code in mega8, i have directly purchased form market, do i need to follow some process before using on Atmega328 board,

and my ans of second question is,

First off all i ll load program from arduino board 328 and removed Atmega8
(why i want to use atmega8 bcoz of my program size is 1kb only and atmega8 is much cheaper than 328 so i dont want to spend 328 for this small code, and ya i dont have atmega8 board to load programm thats y i want to use 328 board.)
and by this method i ll get out put form mega8

thanks.

Can anyone reply ???

Look up 'optiloader' its a sketch you can run on your Arduino 328 to put Arduino bootloaders onto Atmega 8's its very easy to use and well covered on these forums.

Be careful which Atmega8 model you are buying, some of them run at 8Mhz, I have a few of these and have not spent the time to figure out how to use them yet.

Duane B.

rcarduino.blogspot.com