MKRGSM 1400 and GENUINO YUN SHIELD

Hello everybody,
I'm close to buying a MKRGSM 1400 board that I want to connect with a GENUINO YUN SHIELD but I have some questions to make sure that I'm buying the right thing.

1. In my understanding, MKRGSM 1400 is based on GENUINO ZERO which is fully supported by the YUN SHIELD, so I shouldn't have any issue in connecting the two boards. Am I right?

2. I will need to connect the Linux part of Yùn to the Internet (3G) by using the MKRGSM 1400 board for a video streaming. Do you think it is possible?

Thank you everyone for replying,
Enrico

Arduinos are certainly not the best devices for video steaming unless you are willing to accept quite low quality.

Also the YUN shield will not mount to the MKR1400 directly so you would have to wire it with jumpers or mount the 1400 on a UNO adaptor.
Even then there is no guarantee.

ballscrewbob:
Arduinos are certainly not the best devices for video steaming unless you are willing to accept quite low quality.

Also the YUN shield will not mount to the MKR1400 directly so you would have to wire it with jumpers or mount the 1400 on a UNO adaptor.
Even then there is no guarantee.

Thank you for your answer!
I don't expect a high quality video, I would be satisfied by a picture refreshing twice or three times per minute.

I understood the small modifications needed to connect the two boards, but what are your concerns about the final efficacy? What could be the reasons to make it not work?

Thanks again,
Enrico

Resolution of pictures would be of major concern.
Admittedly with a yun shield and an SD card you could accommodate slightly better quality but I still doubt how good they would actually BE.

Then you would also have to take into account quite slow transfer rates and buffer sizes.
Yuns transfer rates are not the highest available.

To be honest If I was going down your path I would be looking at a PI or similar as they can handle this sort of task a lot better with many "off the shelf" programs and hardware to help at what would probably be a lower cost.

ballscrewbob:
Resolution of pictures would be of major concern.
Admittedly with a yun shield and an SD card you could accommodate slightly better quality but I still doubt how good they would actually BE.

Then you would also have to take into account quite slow transfer rates and buffer sizes.
Yuns transfer rates are not the highest available.

To be honest If I was going down your path I would be looking at a PI or similar as they can handle this sort of task a lot better with many "off the shelf" programs and hardware to help at what would probably be a lower cost.

I was actually thinking to PI, but I don't have wireless connection availability and I don't know about a PI version with a gsm module.

Do you know about a PI with 3G connection?

thank you for your reply

Sorry, I found a lot of products just by googling "raspberry PI gsm".
I will study how can I implement my project and come back to you for new questions.

Thanks again