Car cruise control device

Hello guys,
I am new to the world of arduino and electronics
I have corolla 2015 with out cruise control
My project is to make one for it
I figured all part of the subject but have single obstacle, is about the electronic speed paddle , it form of two potentiometers of 5 volt power ,each give different value with each degree of foot pressure.
I want to hack its cable and make the car think that the paddle is pressed.
I thought about arduino PWM and put low pass filter after it but this does not give steady output voltage , and I am afraid that the car will not respond to this.

Any help with that ?

Snabark:

Then you should probably do a LOT of learning before you start modifying a two thousand pound machine that moves at 70 miles per hour and has the potential to kill people.

The particular questions you are asking back that up. You should probably not be messing with something that is safety critical until you have at least learned the basics. Really you should be at the expert level for that, but let's at least get past the basics before we do anything that could cause someone to lose a life.

Delta_G:
Then you should probably do a LOT of learning before you start modifying a two thousand pound machine that moves at 70 miles per hour and has the potential to kill people.

The particular questions you are asking back that up. You should probably not be messing with something that is safety critical until you have at least learned the basics. Really you should be at the expert level for that, but let's at least get past the basics before we do anything that could cause someone to lose a life.

thank you for your concern
An answer to the question may be more helpful...

Snabark:
An answer to the question may

Get people killed.

Why would anyone want to do that? Go get to a level where you can do these things without asking basic questions and then take other people's lives into your hands. Just don't do it around me. You ever crash into me and I find out you modified your car with an Arduino without knowing what you were doing and it will be the end of you. I will own everything you've ever had.

At least try it out on an RC car or something first. Don't get people killed because you don't understand your own limitations.

1, Learn how CC works,
2, learn what connections are required to make it work,
3 work out if your car supports it (consult ECU Specifications),
4, Find out what Wiring is available in car.

CC on post 2010 cars are controlled by the ecu and drive by wire.
There are quite a few safety systems that need to be understood in order to retrofit CC and dont forget that your car inspection centre must also approve of the setup before it can be used on public roads.

Hi everyone!

I was reading all the threads related to Cruise control and all I could read is safety concerns and that is genuine, but all I want to tell is we all are responsible that no one would drive the car on public roads, even after testing the system a million times. We all are here for learning and experimenting good and crazy stuff.

Cruise control is challenging, and if we gather all the information from everyone, we could learn something new!

It would be better to help us with the above-asked question and this (Cruise Control with the Arduino - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum) thread.

Snabark:
Hello guys,
I have corolla 2015 with out cruise control
My project is to make one for it
I figured all part of the subject but have single obstacle, is about the electronic speed paddle , it form of two potentiometers of 5 volt power ,each give different value with each degree of foot pressure.
I want to hack its cable and make the car think that the paddle is pressed.
I thought about arduino PWM and put low pass filter after it but this does not give steady output voltage , and I am afraid that the car will not respond to this.

Any help with that ?

Have you actually tested your theory with two separate manually operated potentiometers?

Paul

This would be tough but i'd image possible using VSS as input and APP being the output and tap the wiring into the vehicles system using a kill switch or 2 or 3.
You also have to make sure the Brake Switch kills the Loop. Adding Accel/Decel switches adds to mess. Coding to achieve a target is not something i'm experienced with yeat.

One way or another anyone thinking of doing something like this needs to test on a Breadboard first. This system should be fully testable on a bench...

Are you sure the factory wiring isn't already there? could you just add the factory controls to the system? lots of the newer vehicles are all the same harness just without the buttons. My truck is completely wired for every extra switch that they make and its as simple and plugging the factory switch in. I wouldn't try to home brew that one man... its not worth your life or someone else.

tatersalad:
Are you sure the factory wiring isn't already there? could you just add the factory controls to the system? lots of the newer vehicles are all the same harness just without the buttons. My truck is completely wired for every extra switch that they make and its as simple and plugging the factory switch in. I wouldn't try to home brew that one man... its not worth your life or someone else.

this is probably your best bet. there is a very high probability that the wiring harness are made all the same, it might lack a module under the hood and whatever buttons on your steering wheel. can arduino do this? probably, but this actually seems like a situation where you actually SHOULDNT use arduino. ill pass over the 'thousands of [pick a unit]s moving at very high speeds' saftey thing, and go straight to saying even somebody with a lot of experience with arduinos would probably not use an arduino for this. its just too much work compared to using purpose made components. this becomes MORE true with newer cars which are more and more controlled electronically. just touch the wrong wire and you might trigger your anti-thieft, disabling ignition until the dealership resets it. i know it can be difficult to ask for help with something and get told nothing but 'dont do that', so i hope i can convince you that you dont really want to.

oh, another important point: cruise control is more than keeping the accelerator in one spot. not only do cars often have a special gear or something with the transmission specifically for CC, they use feedback to pickup or back off the gas slightly as needed, and is an early example of PID controllers, which is probably not something you can impliment with a potentiometer

Snabark:
I am new to the world of arduino and electronics...
...I figured all part of the subject

Sorry, choose only one sentence. Dunning-Kruger anyone?

I'm quite shocked from this post and the one linked in the previous messages (the one in which the engineer didn't figure out how to create a common ground between two microcontrollers... on the same vehicle!).
In the subforum i usually use we aren't allowed to talk about anything that's more than ELV (extra-low voltage), no matter which qualifications the OP is supposed to have, because of safety reasons. And here there's a topic about an arduino (probably clone) CC, wired to a full size car, created by self-defined noob. Wow... :fearful:

Delta_G, you have my full support here. ::slight_smile:

Newbie modifies cruise control. Let me know what day you are testing it so I can stay at home

I have to agree with most of what is said.!

Best to look at if your ECU already has the option of CC.
Then perhaps you just need to add a switch to the Clutch & Brake and a button to turn on and SET.
Simple, job done and will be as safe as an original.!

Or simply purchase an aftermarket CC addon unit.
But I think that option is only good for old non FBW cars.

Otherwise it is best to look at the OBD/CAN interface and TALK to the car.

Do make sure you drop us a message letting us know how you went.
They still have WiFi in Jail.

Just to add,

OR

It maybe that you simply need to purchase and install the control stalk and perhaps it will just work.!
But suspect that it may need to have the option enabled via the dealer or using software that is suited for such a task.

M

My Mondeo senses if the brake or clutch pedal have been pressed or even if its been pulled out of gear and instantly releases the throttle.

Its an instant release, it physically let's go of the throttle which then springs back with quite some force under the tension of the throttle body spring and you can feel 'clunk' of the release though the floor pan of the car its so aggressive.

If you cannot achieve this reliably, you have no place attempting to build cruise control, its a dangerous thing to be messing with and probably illegal in most countries with respectable safety standards.

It is a kind of automation and has to be 'type approved'.

If I presented a car to a testing station here in the UK with a ghetto cruise control system hacked in, I'd expect it to fail on a 'major defect' which comes with the denial of the vehicle leaving again until the defect has been rectified.

DO NOT MESS WITH THROTTLE AUTOMATION!!!!

I would suggest you check the two following links as a starting point. Also you need to understand the environment of the auto. If my memory is correct the engine temperature requirement of the engine compartment in your vehicle is -40C to 125C ambient although it could be a bit lower. The electrical requirements should be checked out as well where 12V is not 12V. You have a load dump requirement, reverse battery connection, double battery jump etc to design for. From my experience the Arduino would not be reliable nor is it rated for these extremes. If you continue please feel free to make me your primary beneficiary on your insurance policy.

https://www.etf.ues.rs.ba/~slubura/Mehatronicki%20sistemi%20kod%20motora%20i%20vozila/Literatura/understanding%20automative%20electronics.pdf

http://www.engineering108.com/Data/Engineering/Automobile/Understanding-Automotive-Electronics.pdf