CNC Shield V3 and step motor controls

Hello,

I'm trying to build a laser engraver/cnc router with Arduino Uno, CNC Shield v3, A4988 step motor drivers. I'm newbie about electronics and Arduino so sorry if I'm asking non-sense things.

I've installed GRBL 1.1 on Arduino Uno, connected A4988 drivers and two stepper motors (link to datasheet below). I used LM317 power supply for powering CNC shield. I haven't done any setting with A4988's trimpot.

When I try to send commands with Universal Gcode Sender, step motors turning well for single-axis movements. For example when I command to move it on X-axis, it seems it works well.

Here my questions are;

1- When one motor steps, the other motor also starts to work and vibrates without turning. Is this normal behaviour? Does CNC shield makes it "ready" as receives GRBL commands?

2- When I click on "return home" on GRBL controller software, step motor turns for several times and then stops and I guess skips (doesn't turn shaft) with a weird sound. What can be the reason for that? Does it means LM317 doesn't supply enough current? (I set it to 12V) Also A4988 doesn't heat at all, I suppose it should, can it be related?

3- Sometimes motor vibrates too much even for single-axis movement. Can it be also related to not enough current from power supply?

and also I'm thinking about connecting TTL/PWM laser diode with 12V/2.5A specifications, should I also consider this when calculating enough power supply? Or shouldn't I connect it to CNC shield, what is the best practice about this?

I'm thinking about buying 24V/5A power supply. For two step motors (0.4A * 2) and 2.5A laser I suppose I need 3.3A and as step motors are 12V and they will act better with higher voltage, I will buy 24V. Is this correct calculation or should I consider some other things?

• My stepper motors' specifications:
  • A4988 step motor driver specifications:
  • CNC Shield v3 technical data and instructions:

http://www.zyltech.com/arduino-cnc-shield-instructions/

• The laser module I would like to connect:

You will not get good performance from the A4988s UNTIL you properly adjust the pots.

sezginm:
Does it means LM317 doesn't supply enough current? (I set it to 12V)

Enough current for what?

The LM317 should only be supplying current for the electronics on the shield. It should NOT be supplying the power for the stepper motors.

A 24v power supply for the motors would be good - but make sure the current limit is correctly set on the A4988 so as to protect the motor.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code - may be useful for testing.

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your answer. I use LM317 power supply for both CNC shield and motors. I connected it to CNC Shield's power input (12V-36V). Arduino gets its power from USB. On the photo below, you can see the cnc shield I use and I'm connecting power (LM317) to blue input on the left bottom of card.

Probably I use "LM317" wrong here, what I'm exactly using is a "LM317 adjustable power supply" which you can see here:

But I'm not sure if it's supplying enough current when it's set to 12V, on some other forum someone suggested using "switching-mode power supply" so I also bought Mean Well LRS-100-24 power supply.

I suppose CNC shield and A4988 motor drivers (when pot set correctly) set voltage and current for motors here but I want to ask again, would it be any problem connecting LRS-100-24 power supply (24V, 4.5A) to this shield? My motors are 12V, 0.4A (I will use 2 motors)

sezginm:
Thank you for your answer. I use LM317 power supply for both CNC shield and motors.

As I said in Reply #2 - DON'T.

...R

Robin thank you...

Okay, I won't use LM317 power supply but I will use 24V, 4.5A power supply but I'm confused about these words:

"The LM317 should only be supplying current for the electronics on the shield. It should NOT be supplying the power for the stepper motors."

Should I also use two seperate power supply for CNC shield and motors? Because CNC shield has only one power input (but not sure if X.STEP/DIR etc. has same purpose). And I was thinking about connecting 24V, 4.5A power to that input and powering both CNC shield, motor drivers and motors.