Updated AVR Boards are not used?

Hi All.

I have Arduino 1.8.4 (which includes Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.20). I recently updated boards to 1.6.23. As a result:

• Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.20 reside in [u]c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr[/u]
  • Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.23 reside in [u]%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.23[/u]

The problem is that apparently it's boards 1.6.20 that are in use. Any idea why?

I judge that by the fact that the following 1.6.20 files are used rather than their 1.6.23 counterparts:

• boards.txt
  • platform.txt
  • platform.local.txt
  • libraries\EEPROM\src\EEPROM.h

Are you running the Arduino IDE in portable mode? That would be indicated by the existence of a c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\portable folder.

Nope. Here's the contents of my C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino:

Update: I just tried this again, on a completely fresh system. The same issue. Is it that I don't understand something? Why is the old version used rather than the updated one?

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) click File > Preferences
  • Check the box next to "Show verbose output during: > compilation
  • Click "OK"
  • File > New
  • Sketch > Verify/Compile
  • After the compilation finishes, click on the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window.
  • Press Ctrl+A to select all the text.
  • Press Ctrl+C to copy the selected text to the clipboard.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the compilation output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the length of the output exceeds the forum's 9000 character limit, save it in a .txt file and post it here as an attachment. If you click the "Reply" button you'll see the "Attachments and other options" link.

Hi, thanks, pert. I'm attaching the file.

empty project.txt (30.2 KB)

That log shows it using the 1.6.23 version of the board package...